Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Here is the tyre carrier plans

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BB454, May 17, 2000.

1. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

OK guys - Let me try to post them as attachments. Took me all day to draw them in Paint. If they are too big I'll try putting them up as separate posts. Here goes!

The parts are color coded - Keep track of the parts by the color I have chosen for them. The very small detail seems to have gone for a loop with the transfer to Jpeg.

BB454
    IF IT DOES NOT HAVE 8 PISTONS - IT'S BROKEN !

2. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

Here is the second page!

BB454

3. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

And the third. That should do it.

BB454

4. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

From the plans, it looks like you are making a new reciever hitch that the tire carrier attaches too. Or does this whole thing attach to the existing hitch on the blazer? I think i understand the plans, i just need a little clarification.

5. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

Joe - The key to the carrier is the towbar/reciever hitch. You have to build the mounting point for the carrier into the hitch and it has to be very strong. If you look at the photo's under my previous post (CUSTOM TYRE CARRIER) you will see that nothing is attached to the body of the vehicle. This fact demands that you have to build everything extra strong. If you look at the plans carefully you will see that all the force/weight is carried over to the frame/chassis of the truck (note the use of the second bumper-bolt from the left of the truck) This point creates a third triangle to distribute the weight to a point where it becomes completely reliable even under severe use.

BB454