Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Here it is, the new revised blazer!

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by therobzilla, Oct 31, 2005.

1. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Ok,

Here is my next ride, no joke! This is what I am going to shoot for, seats four, long wheel base, will run all my exising stuff, doubler, small block, 1/2 ton axles, will be running 37" MTR's but I am shooting for this.

Made by Hendrix motorsports.

Oh baby!!!

What do you think?

Rob[​IMG]

2. globaljames

globaljames Registered Member

Hell yeah -
    got a vaccume to deal with the trail dust ?

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have looked at their chassis' for my current frame and will very likely go with one next year if I can convince myself it is worth it. I would barely break even trying to make what they can deliver and I have a lot of fab time under my belt. That is one of my personal favorites of sll the finished rigs too.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I am so bowing down to the gods of that which is righteous :bow::bow:

5. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

6. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

$$$$$$

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MONEY!!! :haha:

I think it is a great idea. We have talked about this before though so you know what I think. I plan on building my next project from the ground up but it is only because I want to be able to say I built it. You have already built a damn capable rig with your K5, and with your time constraints from being out of town all the time I think it is your best option by far.

Harley

8. therobzilla

Thanks Harley,

You know exactly where my thinking is. I spend quite a bit of time out of town on the road traveling for my position.

I would love to build one frame up, like Marv had done now, but I have other issues to deal with. I spend so much time away from my family for the job, that in order to make any progress with a total ground up project, I would have to be in town all the time to make it work and that is not going to happen in my world. I have a better chance purchasing the frame only from Hendrix and putting my stuff in.

I still have not made a decision on the suspension type, I just don't think I can spring for the coilovers, so either air shocks or 1/4 elliptical is going to be more in my budget. I will cross that one when I get closer.

I am really looking to build a rig that is very low maintenance, very trail friendly, and did I say VERY LOW MAINTENANCE! I love to wheel, I hate to wrench in between wheeling trips. I just have so much going on with family anymore.

I want to wheel drive it off the trailer when the weekend is done pull it in the garage, and drive it back out of the garage when the next trip is happening. Maybe change the oil and plugs but that's it.

I know, it's selfish of me but that how I like it now, I have more fun camping and doing the runs with other than I do pounding the $hit out of the trails and always doing the hard trails.

I still like a hard trail now and again, but for me it's now about spending time with friends and family on the trails and at the campfires.

The tube buggy thing for me is the next step.

Rob

9. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I think this thing cries out for aluminum head Big Block Power....!!! uuuggghh, ugggghhhh, aaaagggghhhh!

Marv

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I know what you mean Rob, I'm at the same place. I just can't seem to get motivated to work on it anymore. I think you have the right idea and I'm going to try to do the same... :waytogo:

11. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I think it's a good idea.

I definitely see myself being at that point sometime in the future. I think the four-seater part is cool, and that's what I'm going to want.

I feel ya on the wrenching time taking away from family time. You can get quality time with the family on the trail/camping, but not wrenching/cussing under the truck.

I haven't built my truck to near the level your truck is at, but as I keep looking to the next step of progression I just wonder if I should look at doing a buggy now.

12. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

You aren't that far off of rob. Some half broken jeep springs that "will never hold the wieght of a blazer", goofey shackles that "won't help flex" and FI you are there.

13. therobzilla

Scott,

I understand where you are in the whole progression of the blazer thing. It's a tought decision.

I have always driven my decision around the actual "Wheeling the blazer theme". This mean, I love to wheel, I hate for the most part to build. My decisions historically have come from, "do I want to take the blazer down to work on it, or do I want to wheel". I usually choose the "I want to wheel" decision, which has been the best one so far.

It has caused some issues, as far as money wrongly spent in order to wheel and not, "Build". But overall I am comfortable with the past decisions to "wheel instead of build". I am a people person, I like to be with the people we wheel with, if my decision have be drive around, "being with these friends and wheeling", then so be it!

The problems I have now, is the weather is nice, the wheeling season is upon us and I want to wheel, so the build will have to wait another season, or until the tube frame shows up. Then when the switch happens, it will happen in ONE WEEK, I'm not waiting 3 months to make the switch. I hate to loose the wheeling time.

The blazer at this point is very wheelable, it just is ready to be retired, and the parts wheeled on another vehicle.

I have been wheeling so long, that my blazer is an extension of myself on the trails; I know all of its quirks, all of its sounds, and all of the limitations of how it will handle on the trail. This is probably one of the main reasons I have been able to wheel it for so long. I'm not by any means saying that I am some wheeling guru, I just know what it will do and what is won't do.

That means I know when to push it and when not to push it. I tend to push it a lot farther now then I ever did.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Rob

14. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Honestly in your situation I would build a buggy but I wouldn't sacrifice your K5 to do it. Robs K5 has been beaten up and modified so much that it is not something you can undo and be able to do drive it on the street again. He has so much money invested in the drivetrain that he can't afford to not reuse the parts on the next project.

Your truck is still road worthy and in pretty good shape. I personally would just start accumulating parts for a buggy build and go from there. That is what I plan to so. My truck is still road worthy and I plan to keep it that way. I am going to do some more mods to make it wheel better but the ultimate plan is to build a buggy using totally different parts and keep both the K5 and the buggy I build.

Having a buggy on the trails in not always all it cracked up to be. If you run with a group that doesn't wheel the hardest trails it can be boring to drive a buggy. That is when you would take the K5 out and it would make the trail more difficult.

Russ (Baddog) can attest to this. A few years ago he had a truggy and nobody else in AZ did so he would get bored with some of the trails we ran because they weren't very difficult to him. They were to us in lighter duty K5's and such though.

Harley

15. mrk5

I've thought about exactly the same thing. Making the blazer into more of a street vehicle again and doing a buggy or truggy. Definitely would like to keep the K5.

I kinda have the boredom trouble now. My brother-in-law and some of his friends are into wheelin', but they have pretty much stock rigs. The trails that they consider challenging are pretty easy for me now. They like wheelin, but aren't nearly as dedicated to building up the truck like I am.

I think it would be fun to have the really built rig for the fun stuff, and then a slightly modified K5 for the moderate wheeling.

Rob I feel the same way you do about wheelin vs. building. It's about to kill me right now not having the 4.56 gears in the front right now. I wanna go wheelin!

Anyways, thanks for all the input guys, but I feel almost like I've managed to hijack Rob's thread.

Let us all know how it goes with the buggy, I'll be anxious to see how you set it up.

16. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Put some 31's up front to offset the gears , you'll look like a hot rod all raked and such :rotfl:

17. mrk5

:thinking: :rotfl:

18. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I hate to take this thread off course...but how much does the x-chassis itself cost? He has prices listed for all the accessories but none for the chassis itself and I'd rather not call and say "Hi, I'd really like to build a chassis of yours three years from now...can you shoot me a price?"

I'd say it looks like an awesome choice overall...anyone thought about buying a stripped toy chassis (gasp) for the sole purpose of running one of his formula kits? Just a thought for people like me who don't have the skills or tools to get into advanced fabrication.

EDIT: I'm an idiot who can't read. I'm sure it'll be a sick lookin rig man. Keep the board updated on everything.

19. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The chassis' are designed around a simlar wheelbase and frame width so they weld on to a K5 fram rather easily. Also since GM engine/tranny's are common in yota's they have already figured that out too.

20. therobzilla

The bare frame runs $1,399.00 based on what the website shows. That is just the frame alone, not the undercarrage or links or stinger or any extras.

I plan on spending around $2,000 to $2,500 for frame, subframe, links, ect. I have not talked with Hendrix yet, but once I get a little more $$$ in the account I will take a trip over to see them and talk the details.

I travel to CA quite a bit and will drop in to see them on a business trip.

Rob