Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Here we go again... 14 Bolt FF question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by krayzie, Sep 24, 2003.

1. krayzie

krayzie Registered Member

Ok.. You have all heard it before, but even upon searching, nothing seems to fit my needs. So...

I have a 1993 1/2 ton 4x4 Chevy Ext. cab short box pickup. I am doing a SFA swap, and I want to start with a beefy rear end. I want a 14 bolt FF and would like to know what I have to get it off from to be a fairly bolt on operation. I have called the junkyards and they are no help, so maybe if I have a leg to stand on when I call them I will get somewhere! I appreciate any help! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

if i remember correctly, a 3/4 ton 14bff will bolt right in as far as spring plates go...maybe not in a 94 though...

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The earlier 14's will not fit, you need to find one in the wrecking yard that has what looks like 2 sets of spring perches. I think some of them were changed in 88'-up pickups but I know one out of a 92' or later will work.

4. krayzie

So I have to go with a newer axle?? I called the junkyards on one for my particular truck, only in 1 ton form, and they wanted between 800 - 1300 bucks on their locator?!? I thought they were the cheaper route (and stronger) than say a D60 out of an older ford? I kinda wanted the 14FF because of not needing to cut weld and modify! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Ask about prices for a heavy 3/4, those came with the FF...

6. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    So I have to go with a newer axle??

[/ QUOTE ]
    Isn't that what I said. The older axles are too narrow and spring perches are different! Work on the guys at the wreking yard or go to a different one. They are about a 100 bucks around here.

7. krayzie

Sorry, didn't mean to sound dense /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. The boneyards telling me that there is no option on any Chevy truck newer than 90 for a full floater axle. Hence my confusion. The three places I called said they had stacks of semi-floaters, but thats a far cry from what I am looking for. Its FF for me or nothing. If I need to, I can have the perches cut off and welded on to match, I am just not looking to do so. Anyone else have any opinions on this?? I would like to try and locate an axle for the upcoming weekend, so that I can get my completely rebuilt 10 bolt sold to someone to help recover some cost of the SAS! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

If they say no FF option for Chevy(which is bullshit anyway), ask about GMC's...

9. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

you will more than likely need to have new perches put on and also check the width of the rear axle to make sure you will fit it under your truck the right way.the older 14ff came out of 73 to 85 heavy 3/4 tonand 1 ton trucks.the easiest way is to go to a pick and pull or the actual junkyard and find it yourself.i got mine for 150 at the jy.i would not pay more than that unless it has a detroit locker.also make sure of what ratio it has or you will have to change your front end or gears to match the rear. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. krayzie

BTT.. Good advice so far, anyone else have anything to add? I am really looking to make this an easy pull out put in swap /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

11. rjfguitar

Like I said find a later model 14boltFF, THEY EXIST, any late model 3/4ton suburban with a 454 has a 14FF, drive around for a while, you will see one drive by. That bone yard stupid! Give me their phone number so I can yell at them for making a stupid comment like that. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I am pretty sure a late model 3/4ton 14boltFF WILL bolt in. just like the older trucks and older 14FF's. 3/4ton bolts strait in but not 1ton. It is the same way on late model stuff. Late model trucks have to stay with late model parts and early model trucks need to stay with early model parts for the easiest swaps.

12. rjfguitar

Oh and you don't need to ask them about a GMC like one guy said because both Chevy and GMC used 14boltFF's on late models.

13. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

All the rear ends in 88-99 style Pickup/Burb/Tahoe/Yukon have the same spring perches and shock mounts - 1/2-ton, 3/4-ton or 1-ton. Where its different is for cab & chassis models.

That said, the 14FF you need comes in 1-tons or 454/diesel 3/4-tons.