Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

here we go again...**pics*** DONE!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Avery4jc, May 3, 2007.

1. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

so today on the way home from work the truck started surging big time...we're talking 1500-2,000 rpm surges making the truck jump forward and back each time it did.
    It got so bad I had to hit the hazard lights and pull on the shoulder of the freeway...

I'm going oitside right now to check everything over...I turned the idle up on my carb two nights ago and maybe I focked something up when I put the can and vaccuume lines back on so I'll go see....

the other thing I was thinking of was a possible fuel deliver problem...where is the fuel filter on these trucks (1985 K10)? Maybe if its clogged it could be blocking my fuel from getting to the carb...is there one for each tank? If so I'll just use the other side and see if it fixes it...if not then I need to know where it is so I can clean it out...

thanks guys...

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  2. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

i dont think a fuel filter will cause your truck to surge 2k rpms

3. stevos67k20

stevos67k20 1/2 ton status

clogged fuel filter

it could very well be a fuel filter. i have a manual switch for my two saddle tanks on my 67 and i thought i was running out of gas one day going about 55mph. it was surging and crapping just like it was losing gas, i switched tanks and filled up my tank that i thought was empty, and it only took 3 gallons of gas out if 16 it normally has. after looking in the gas cap i saw the fuel level was very high. its definately my fuel filter.

you should replace yours, you can get some real cheap in-line fuel filters(probably 3/8") at your local auto parts store and they work real well, for me anyways. its been a couple of years since i replaced that one on that tank.

4. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

learn something new.. i always thought a clogged filter would make your truck bog down or something.. but hey if it works then go for it.. its not like itll set you back any $$ wise

5. Avery4jc

Ok I pulled the junk off down to the carb to check around (found the filter too...its mounted next to the carb) and everything looks fine.
    The vaccuume lines are all hooked up and there aren't any open lines blowing around...the spark plug wires are all hooked up and none of them are burned through/broken/etc.

So I took it for a test drive and it did the same exact thing...it started to sputter and fell flat on its face...it died while going down the freeway which was a hell of a trip b/c I lost power steering and brakes :(
    I got it up on the shoulder and managed to get it fired back up and ran home w/ the hazards on.

BUT when it died it threw a code...the check engine light came on.

It threw a code 15...which is "coolant sensor/low temp"....ARGH!

So I don't know wtf to do. I keep taking it back to this shop but he is pissing me off now....not that its his fault that stuff needs to be fixed and replaced but that he sends it off with his stamp of approval and here I am going back for the 4th time to have a similar problem fixed.
    When I left last time he said it was my carb...wtf...so is he just going to keep replacing everything until he gets it right?!?!

What should I do guys?

6. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

when it stumbles...is i upon accleration or load? or just cruisin?

it does sound almost like a bad fuel filter or maybe a sending unit sock thingy is REALY dirty...

7. Avery4jc

Its when its under load...when the truck is in neutral you can rev it up to 2500-3000 and hold it and its perfectly fine...it idles like a rock and nothing is wrong.
    When you drop it into gear it still idles fine but once you start getting into the throttle it just falls flat on its face...then when the rpm's drop it idles like junk.

Ok so I saw that fuel filter by the carb...can I just unscrew the hard line and clean it out? Or what do I need to do?

8. broncoman6524

is it a Q-jet?

if it is the nipple that the fuel line is on, unscrew that assy from the carb and the fuel filter should be right there pull it out and the spring behind it and drive it and see what happens.

9. Avery4jc

iono...Q-Jet?

its got a hard line that screws into a fitting...that fitting screws into a little box that says "FILTER" then a line runs from that to the carb...

10. broncoman6524

hmm im confused on what you got now...could you snap a pic?

11. Xtremegmc80

Xtremegmc80 1/2 ton status Premium Member

make sure the engine isnt overheating.. my truck surged underload cause i didnt know i was doing 250+ degrees on engine.. lost power.. had to take it easy home. otherwise its fuel problem thats all i can really think of.. my other tow rig a few yr ago. 99 chevy z71.. was running great for 400 miles.. from ohio to pa. towing my broked down trans am. home.. long story short (i blew my tranny in ohio. and i live in pa. tow bill sucks. tranny cost! so i ended up buying a truck on a loan! to tow trans am home then stuck with it!) back to point. 350 miles later, surging, lost alot of power. wont do 30 mph . had to turn 4 way on. towing up hill. every little mini van with uhaul trailer passing me.. :o 50 miles later home sweet home.. truck still ran.. 20 mins later. stalled wont start.. my dad came home from work. 30 mins later auto store to buy fuel filter. 10 mins later replaced.. runs great!.. ever since that i replace fuel filter every year! but for my 99 truck, fuel filter died on me when i bought truck in ohio the day before!:mad:

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Me to. Stock should be a hard line running to the carb body, which has another large fitting on it. IIRC though, it does have "filter" cast into it.

The stock filter will *unseat* when it's plugged, meaning it can never actually block fuel flow. (at least if it works as designed)

Whatever you deal with, make sure you use tubing wrenches. The fuel line/carb body stuff is about #1 on the list of components that get screwed up trying to remove, and it's because improper tools are used. Trick I use is to unscrew the fuel line from the fuel pump, as that allows the line to move a bit while you try to unthread it at the carb...typically the line will twist up, and they aren't easy to find new.

If it told you "low temp" (you are using a CCC code chart, right?) then something is going on there...bad ECM temp sender, bad wiring for sender, or bad thermostat. How is the temp gauge looking while it's doing this?

13. Xtremegmc80

does the carb have 2 little hole in front and 2 big hole in back? if so yes its a q jet.. i think ur is. and does the fuel line run in the carb from the left side in the front? and on top of it say FILTER and that part is with the carb right?

14. Avery4jc

yeah it runs from the left side to the front and has that exact filter setup you described...

15. Xtremegmc80

yep its a q jet.. ran alot of them.. some ran good. some didnt.. hard to know ur problem. could be alot of things.. its a computer controlled carb and they have a non computer controlled carb too but its tough to switch it since ur in cali. wish i could be more of help.. hope other bros can help u out.

16. Avery4jc

yeah I can't switch it b/c it has to have the electronic carb for smog issues...yet another pro to selling this beast and getting a pre-75 blazer...

17. Xtremegmc80

:thinking: now thats not a bad idea! or move out of cali!:cool1:

18. Avery4jc

I know...its hard to believe but I have been SERIOUSLY considering selling this...Its a super solid truck now that I've dumped so much into it but these little issues are becoming quite the problem for me.
    I'm going to college in Texas in a matter of months and no matter how much time and money I put into this beast it'll never be as reliable as something newer...my mom brought up the idea of selling this and getting something new for the time being...she said then once you are out of college you can build w/e toy you want to and it won't have to be your daily driver....lol...she's a pretty cool mom...

19. Xtremegmc80

i agree w ur mom a lil bit. my dd is a 03 silverado and my trail/dd rig is a 80 gmc. i had a 77 gmc when i was in highschool.. i graduated ended up with a firebird since its more reliable. and took me everywhere and save gas money.. or when u go to college in texas. get ur truck registered in texas then mod everything to a better set up.. but one prob. i dont know how much work it is to transfer everything to texas. but thats ur choice. just do what u think is best.. if u do sell the truck.. make sure u dont buy any import riceburners.. lol

20. Avery4jc

haha yeah don't worry about that...I won't ever be in a rice burner ;)

Well honestly iono if I'd do anything while in college...at least not for the first year b/c I'm in the dorms....my sophmore year I will be able to move out b/c my sister will be a junior and w/e housing rules apply to the oldest member of an immediate family apply to the rest of the family @ ACU...so we're going to get an appartment.
    So once we get to that point I could get a project but thats a long time from now....iono what to do...oh and btw don't think I'm thinking of selling the truck just b/c I'm having an issue tonight...it just sort of came up. :)