Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Here we go again

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wasted wages, Dec 17, 2003.

1. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I'm sure this has been asked 100's of times before but I'll ask again,,,I have 40" tires on my k-5 with 8 inches of lift,will 44's fit with a body lift? the 40's already stuff into the floor pan (on the front axle)I have done major fender trimming because I'm trying to stay away from a body lift.If I put a 3" body lift and 44's won't I have the same problem stuffing the floor pan? Or are 12"spings my answer,,,

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

with body lift I forsee the same problem. A zero rate and moving the axle forward an inch should help that clearance issue. Nice K5 by the way.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Well let's see......if you add a tire that's 4" larger diameter, that means that the tire is effectively sticking out 2" further in every direction...

....which means that you now have 2" less clearance to the firewall than you have now......

....adding a 3" body lift means that you are "getting back" those lost inches of clearance....at least vertically. Unfortunately, when the front tire stuffs...it's going BACK as well as UP, so a body lift is probably not going to give you a true 3" inches of new clearance.

How do you feel about trimming sheetmetal? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

he is trimmed his problem is tires contacting the firewall as I understand it.

5. wasted wages

{ A zero rate and moving the axle forward an inch should help that clearance issue}

I'll admit my suspension knowledge is very limited,
    so how is this done? what is zero rate?

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

a zero rate is like a block but it bolts to your leafpack so it doesn't have the dangers associated with a block. It provides an inch of lift without adding spring rate, aka a zero rate add a leaf. http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/Zero%20Rates.htm
    It also allows you to relocate the axle forward or back an inch or inch and a half.

7. wasted wages

never knew these existed,,,will order today,,,,, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif THANKS to all!!

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

haha you're welcome

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I run 40's with 5" of lift. I moved my front diff forward 1.25" and the tires don't hit the floorboard/firewall area.

Rene

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I plan to run 40s with 4" or 5" and moving forward an inch. We will see how my clearance goes.