Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Here's a question...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I'm sure I've already posted the story about my Jeep... Long story short for those who don't know, I had my warranty denied because of an odometer discrepancy in the history...

I need to get my water pump and a couple other pieces replaced to stop a coolant leak, and prevent some worse damage... This work was supposed to be covered under the warranty that I bought, and would only cost me the $50 deductable........ Without a warranty, though, all the estimates I'm getting are in the $250 range for parts and labor... No way in heck I can pay that for a while. So I had an idea.

I'm still going to try to figure out what's going on with the odometer. I honestly couldn't give a crap less how many miles it has as long as it runs and lasts until it's paid off. It would be nice to know, however. Then I could get everything straightened out as far as that goes.

Then comes the $1500 I paid for the warranty I never got. I'm going to the bank in the next few days, before my first payment is due, to get a refund on that. No use paying for it, even for one payment, if I'm not getting what I paid for, right?

This is where I'm not sure what to do. On one hand, I wouldn't mind attempting to get that $1500 in check form. I could take that money, get the Jeep fixed, and either hang on to the rest, or take it back to the bank and apply it to the principle. On the other hand, it might be a good idea to just refinance the Jeep without the $1500. Doing that would lower my payments, which is always a good thing. However, I still won't be able to get the Jeep repaired as soon as I'd like.

Eh? Biuh.

2. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

If they give the $$$ back to you, just turn around and apply it to the loan. The bank will probably do that anyhow. Use it to make the next few payments on the Heap............I mean, Jeep.:blush:

Or, you could take the $1500.00, go to Vegas and turn it into $9000.00, and buy my Tahoe.:D

3. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

That would be rather bad ass............... ........ Really, though... if I got the $1500, I'd be going straight to Little America to have Ray fix my precious Jeep.... I would love to then take the extra cash and buy a 3" lift... and pay someone to install it since I hate doing suspension work, and Jay might kill me once he finds out I sold the Explorer I bugged him so much about letting me use his shop to lift :blush:

Then buy some 31's.... And whatever's left, put back towards the loan.........

It's not good money management, now is it? Ah well, I need a lift pretty darn bad...

I love my Jeep...

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Personally I'd go back to the dealership you bought it from and demand they give you another vehicle without the warrenty issue !!!! Dude, trust me, you want a warrenty !!!! What would you do if 6 months from now the tranny craps out, or the engine throws a rod ??? Make them give you another Heep, same year, same or less milage, same condition, but one with a warrenty !!!!!!! I'll never spend over $5,000.00 on a vehicle that doesn't have a warrenty, or one I can't buy a extended warrenty for. If they won't do it, talk to a atty. They did tell you that you can buy a extended warrenty for it. That implys nothing screwy with the vehicle.

5. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I bought it from a used car dealer... A reputable one at that :confused: :mad:

Anyway... I bought the warranty through the bank, since the guy I bought it from didn't offer financing or warrantys or any of that junk...

I'd really hate to get rid of it. As I keep saying, I love my Jeep. I really has pretty much everything I can think of... This Jeep has so many dang options I don't know what to do with them all... Not to mention there are controls for the stereo on the steering wheel... That's the coolest most useful thing I've ever seen...

My Jeep proved itself last weekend when I went camping in the snow... I was a doubter as to what a luxury SUV could do, but I must say I was thoroughly impressed... The only thing my Jeep is missing is tow hooks in the front and a lift kit...

So yeah, if I have to give it up I'll just die... Never before have I owned such a nice vehicle that's also as capable as anything I've ever owned.

Not to mention one of my New Year's resolutions is to keep this Jeep for at least 13 months, which will then be a new record for me :D :xmas:

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I can understand all that, I'd just be leary about the not able too get a warrenty issue. That alot of money too take a chance with.

7. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

I bought a s-10 a few years back from a new dealer ship and a few hundred after factery wartenty went out the oil pan started leaking. If it is also a new dealer of the same jeep ask them for a good faith work to be done. The dealer did not want to deal with me but a mechanic at work use to be a service writer and told me to see anther one and they fixed it for free as " good faith work". If the assuming you are taking it to the dealership for warrenty ask for some good faith work to be done that you are a loyal jeep owner and if they want future business. If they do not look in the book and find a few other chrisler #s and call and explain the same delimia and a few nicely frased (polite) about the dealer not wanting to help and the problem and you are a loyal jeep owner if they would help you out and they may call the dealer and tell them to do it this way. The motor had to be pulled from the s-10 to change the pan gasket and it cost me nothing.:xmas:

8. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

try what ronny said, if it works get you money back and lift that jeep:cool1:

9. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I went to talk to Steve, the guy I bought the Jeep from, yesterday... Here's my story...

I went in and basically told him there was an odometer discrepancy and asked if he had any info on the previous owners or service records or ANYTHING about the Jeep... He right away said that he knew exactly what the problem was, someone just typed the mileage in wrong. I asked again if he had any info on the past owners so I could contact them, and he said he didn't have anything on the Jeep after I bought it, and pretty much in a nice way told me to get the hell out of his office...

SO, I talked to my co-worker who talked to her mom who is a paralegal today... She said to call the Attorney General's office and tell them what's going on. The guy I talked to there told me to call the Dealer's License office at the DMV, and then THEY put me through to the Dealer Compliance office... I talked to the Supervisor of Dealership Investigations what was going on, and he said it certainly sounds suspicious, and that the dealership is supposed to keep records of everything they sell for a certain amount of time, and then explained to me how many people roll back odometers and how much trouble it causes people and how much money it costs people and blah blah blah... the guy wouldn't stop talking in his monotone voice about what a serious offense this is...

They're going to do an investigation on Steve's Auto Sales and the vehicle, and contact the previous owners and such... I'll get a call in a week or two about what exactly is going to happen and what I can do about it... I guess whoever rolled back the odometer or made a typo or whatever is going to get in trouble, whether they intended to do it or not... But I won't know for a couple weeks for sure... Until then, I'm just supposed to sit here and wait for a call, and keep track of anything that happens and anyone I talk to about it... The guy I talked to said it'll most likely get settled in my favor without much problem, but of course I may have to take Steve to court... Either way, it seems I'll have the option of returning the vehicle for one that doesn't have a suspicious past, or get a refund...

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

man,that sucks. you didn't do anything wrong but you have to wait. is the jeep still at the dealer? i'll pray this works out quickly for you.

11. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Call the better business bureau and the states attorney general and explain your situation to them. Hold no punches back and demand satisfaction. With this amunition you can go to the dealership without just idol threats and it would aslo be la legal complaint, don't just stop making payments which will screw up your credit rating!

12. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

If you still have the jeep go ahead and ask the dealer and or call cyrsler/jeep and try and get the work done for free. The dealer if this gets all fixed up can bill ther warrenty departmant and get there money back and you can go ahead and ride. It has worked for me with chevy and i know a few ford people it has worked for too.:grin:

13. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

It worked for me in the Grand Cherokee I owned in August....... But this dealership is a small time place, I doubt he has the means to pay for repairs to a vehicle...

Y'all are confused I think, a re-read of my posts might do some good :xmas: