Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Here's one for the fabricators or cross refencers out there

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wingnutt, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Here\'s one for the fabricators or cross refencers out there

As we all know the price of R12 has gotten to outragous to continue to use. Since I used to design industral A/C compressors (until last month) I know that R134 has half of the heat capicity of R12. Becuase of that, you have to spin the old compressor twice as fast with R134 to get the same amount of cooling compaired to R12. And the system must be modified to flow 2x the amout of coolant. Or, find / design a compressor that has twice the volume as a R12 compressor (late model GM). Now with all of that out of the way, /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif how much work will it take to adapt a late model (R134) compressor to an '88 350? I ask because I'm just starting to research how to do this. If somebody has done this before or knows which mounts to use please tell me. I'm tired of paying $48 for a 12 oz can of R12. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

2. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

Re: Here\'s one for the fabricators or cross refencers out there

I'm no ac engineer so all i did was change the oil in the compressor (ester oil I think) pull a vac and charge it up with garden variety 134. Runs just as cold too. It has been over a year since the switch... no probs here...

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Ya, I do the 134a retro fit all day long, no problamo! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif When a big repair is needed, like a compressor. I sell a reciver/drier, and add the retro fit kit into the price. It costs the client less and I like that machine more. Honda has a retro. oil that I use for the r12, now 134a system. Never had a problem. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

What Kind of oil? Does it replace what's already in there? CC