Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

heres what i want

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jj4465, Aug 1, 2003.

1. jj4465

jj4465 Registered Member

k..i want to put a 5-6 inch lift on my blazer...ive heard a lot of things..such as changing the gears..and the exhaust might get in the way...i was gonna get my exhaust done saturday...should i wait? is it hard to get a lift on the truck...im just curious about all this..cause it sounds kind of tiring to me..lol..thanks

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Well, you won't need to change the gears just yet if you're not getting bigger meats right away (which you'll want to do soon with a 6" lift like that). I'd crawl under there and look to see if you can install the lift with the current exhaust being the way it is. If you can, then do the lift first, then exhaust, that way you can be sure everything will work. If it looks like it's going to be a pain, then what I would do is take the exhaust off, do the lift, then do the new exhaust. Might want to get some opinions from people who actually know what they're talking about, though /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Not for certain, but I believe the driveshafts will have to be lengthened for a 6" lift. That's why I went w/ a 4". Definately do the lift first (or maybe a re-gear then lift), before doing exhaust, unless you like doing things twice.

John

4. jj4465

jj4465 Registered Member

so whats the most inches in a lift in which u dont need to change things..like lengthening the driveshafts and switching the gear ratios and stuff....or do u need to do that no matter what usually?..like could i get away with a 4in lift and not have to do these things?...or am i screwed either way??

5. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

With 4" of lift, driveshafts don't have to be lengthed. As for gear ratios, that is dependant on tire size you plan to run, tranny you have, and your current gear ratio. Determine that, and then go from there.

John

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

w/ 4" lift you might need new driveshafts, might not. A '76 has a fixed yoke case so you prob won't need to tilt it. GM's are usually geared too high for the stock tires so plan on regearing.

7. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

4 inch springs, 1 inch body lift, 0 rates at all fourcorners, and thats your six inch lift. the only reason i would think your exhaust would be in the way is if you have that "Y" pipe BS infront of the transfer case.... but since your truck is a 76 i doubt it would be like that. but i may be wrong, crawl under there check it out.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    4 inch springs, 1 inch body lift, 0 rates at all fourcorners, and thats your six inch lift. the only reason i would think your exhaust would be in the way is if you have that "Y" pipe BS infront of the transfer case.... but since your truck is a 76 i doubt it would be like that. but i may be wrong, crawl under there check it out.

[/ QUOTE ] Exhaust mods may need to be done if someone go's with certin rear suspension mods like shackle flips. See Review.

9. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

nothing that cant be fixed with the use of a sawzall or grinder. ask me how i know.... I was talking about the need to reroute pipes.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I hear ya, I just mentioned it becouse jj4465 said. [ QUOTE ]
    i was gonna get my exhaust done saturday...should i wait?

[/ QUOTE ] Just wanted too let him know about that if he decides to go with a shackle flip.

11. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

yea, they need to be lengthened, well maybe not the front. i was tearing around the back yard yesterday and the rear shaft slipped out. i know it's because i don't have a bed right now and there is no weight back there . once there is i'll see how far the front shaft comes out, righr now it's out about an inch from stock. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif