Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Here's where I'm at: Rocker repair (updated 11/02/03)

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Robin, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

Here\'s where I\'m at: Rocker repair (updated 11/02/03)

Here's the running chassis ready to go: (fixed in post below)
    Here's what's holding it up: (fixed in post below)

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: Here\'s where I\'m at (PICs)

http://coloradok5.com/photos/data/9265/3611Chassis_7_3_sm.JPG

[​IMG]

....you need to post the "properties" of the pics (which means it will end in .jpg), not just the URL of the photo gallery it's in.

The example I did should help you to figure it out! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Looking pretty snazzy, BTW!

3. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

looking good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. tp85

tp85 1/2 ton status Premium Member

great pix. those will help me a lot once i get started again.

did you pull off the rocker box? replace the cab support? i assume that if the door pillar needed to be cut out, that the cab support was also rotted.

do you think it is best to have the front clip out of the way? i was hoping to leave the clip on during my repairs.
    tp85

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Robin- Very sweet dude. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Your pictures are inspiring... I've always wanted to do a frame off resto to my first gen... And i've got rust in the same places.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Where did you order the floor patch panel and the rocker from? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the props guys. I've been ducking low, since I lost the ability to share pictures (membership ran out and all the pics I had before got dumped). It's really quite inspiring for both parties to show progress.

I have a bunch of pics that show progression that I'll likely put on imagestation. I've run out of room here.

8. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

The front fenders really need to be off to get to the conglomeration that is the based at the door pillar (cab support). One of the reasons I even thought about taking the body off, was my doors would sag with the top off.
    My rocker boxes where clean, so I thought it had to be my body mounts. True, they were trashed, but I think the biggest reason was the rot at the bottom of the door pillar.
    - the door gets it support there
    - the side rockers connect there
    - the end of the floor meets there
    - the kick panel meets there
    - the front fender connects there

You have rot at that intersection and the whole structure gets pretty weak. That's why when I do the work there, that I have the top on but unbolted except for the ends (2 at the back and 2 over the windshield). This allows me to use the top as a straight edge so when I'm supported at the front of the rocker box and at the rear door jam, I can use the top for a point of reference without the top flexing (if it were totally bolted down).

If there is a gap between the bed and the top (behind the door), then you are sagging, so jack up at the rear door jam to bring the bed flush with the top. With the door removed, I think this is the easiest way to ensure you don't weld up the missing pieces out-of-align.

I decided to try the whole repair with the rocker box on. With the floor cut out like I have it, you can reach under the floor to clean up surface rust and undercoat it before welding the floor back in. My goal was to disturb as little as possible (except on the passenger side the inner rocker was in pretty good shape, but I was glad I cut it out. It was filled with sediment and it allowed me access under the floor).

I got the patch panels from LMC and I was very disappointed with their fit. Maybe they're all like that but, be prepared to do a lot of refitting (another reason to cut out only the rotted area).

One thing that I shouldn't have done, was cut away both sides at the same time. I had to depend on my pictures to check exactly how the various pieces align and fit, because I had already cut away the other side.

I also have to keep telling myself not to get too anal about fit and finish on these pieces, because no one will ever see them (except in my brain).

The floor panel is the worst to fit because it has so many different angles and bends. I was very careful to cut extra large then gradually trim down to the final fit.

In my case I'm assembling in the following order:
    1) Inner Rocker
    2) Floor pan
    3) Kick panel
    4) Lower door pillar support
    5) Outer rocker cover

9. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That is good info. You posted this at just the right time as I too am about to replace the rust in my blazer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    The front fenders really need to be off to get to the conglomeration that is the based at the door pillar (cab support). One of the reasons I even thought about taking the body off, was my doors would sag with the top off.
    My rocker boxes where clean, so I thought it had to be my body mounts. True, they were trashed, but I think the biggest reason was the rot at the bottom of the door pillar.
    - the door gets it support there
    - the side rockers connect there
    - the end of the floor meets there
    - the kick panel meets there
    - the front fender connects there

You have rot at that intersection and the whole structure gets pretty weak. That's why when I do the work there, that I have the top on but unbolted except for the ends (2 at the back and 2 over the windshield). This allows me to use the top as a straight edge so when I'm supported at the front of the rocker box and at the rear door jam, I can use the top for a point of reference without the top flexing (if it were totally bolted down).

If there is a gap between the bed and the top (behind the door), then you are sagging, so jack up at the rear door jam to bring the bed flush with the top. With the door removed, I think this is the easiest way to ensure you don't weld up the missing pieces out-of-align.

I decided to try the whole repair with the rocker box on. With the floor cut out like I have it, you can reach under the floor to clean up surface rust and undercoat it before welding the floor back in. My goal was to disturb as little as possible (except on the passenger side the inner rocker was in pretty good shape, but I was glad I cut it out. It was filled with sediment and it allowed me access under the floor).

I got the patch panels from LMC and I was very disappointed with their fit. Maybe they're all like that but, be prepared to do a lot of refitting (another reason to cut out only the rotted area).

One thing that I shouldn't have done, was cut away both sides at the same time. I had to depend on my pictures to check exactly how the various pieces align and fit, because I had already cut away the other side.

I also have to keep telling myself not to get too anal about fit and finish on these pieces, because no one will ever see them (except in my brain).

The floor panel is the worst to fit because it has so many different angles and bends. I was very careful to cut extra large then gradually trim down to the final fit.

In my case I'm assembling in the following order:
    1) Inner Rocker
    2) Floor pan
    3) Kick panel
    4) Lower door pillar support
    5) Outer rocker cover

[/ QUOTE ]

If you haven't cut-and-paste'd this into the "CANCER SUPPORT GROUP" thread up top, you really should.....

This is the kind of stuff that all 1st Genners eventually have to deal with, and another success story is always helpful... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

Makes sense to me to, but I posted there last over a month ago with some questions that no one responded to. I don't think it gets any looks...

12. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

Ok, I've got the passenger side cancer healed. I have a ton of pictures on imagestation.com Robin's imagestation albums . You may have to sign-up for a free account to view them (which is actually a pretty good place to stash a bunch of pictures) since I've already maxed out this gallery.

After:
    [​IMG]

Before:
    [​IMG]

13. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,

Great pic's man.Good documentation on the repair.
    A picture is worth a 1000 words! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

You set the bar, I'm just trying to keep up /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

Alright I'm cutting on the driver's side. It's really bad and it goes back behind the door, even eating through the bulkhead that the front of the bed-side is mounted to.

Even had to cut an access hole in the rear door pillar to get access to a couple bolts. You gotta really love your Blazer to go this far /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    [​IMG]

This is after I cut out the bottom of the door pillar, the inner rocker, the bed-side buldhead and the rock-box support that mounts to the bottom of the bed.

There's more in the imagestation Blazer Cancer album (page3)

16. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

thats a lot of work...keep it up.
    I'm glad mine was a cal car and had very little rust on it.... /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

17. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

So how does Texas differ from California?

The reason I lit into this project is that all Blazers are succeptable to this no matter the region. All it takes are tree's dropping leaves down cowl, dust and dirt kicked up from your tires and rain. This truck has never seen salt.

The leaves, dirt and rain get trapped in the inner and outter rockers and they stay moist enough and the minerals in the dirt acidic enough to eat through the metal (given 30 years).

It seems to me like the only way to avoid this problem is to garage the Blazer, and periodically blow out the rocker areas (water followed by air). The outer rocker has a plastic bung at the front that can be removed but the only way out, is back through this access hole (dumb!).

To prevent the collection of sludge in the future, I'm going to drill a 1/2' hole at the back of the outer rocker so you can blow through the rocker.

You can thank the previous owners for either:
    1) Keeping their Blazer out of the elements (listed above)
    2) or cleaning these problem areas up periodically after being in the elements.

I don't think you can thank California for how clean your truck may be. Then again, maybe it just hasn't eaten through your paint yet...

18. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So how does Texas differ from California?

The reason I lit into this project is that all Blazers are succeptable to this no matter the region. All it takes are tree's dropping leaves down cowl, dust and dirt kicked up from your tires and rain. This truck has never seen salt.

The leaves, dirt and rain get trapped in the inner and outter rockers and they stay moist enough and the minerals in the dirt acidic enough to eat through the metal (given 30 years).

[/ QUOTE ]

What Robin said!

These areas can look great until you have to pull a fender, or repair that "pinhole" rust in the rocker, or... you get the idea. The structural damage is hidden.

Robin, your repairs look really great. My only advise is don't trust the top alone for keeping things aligned. Take the time to hang both of the doors several times during the process... particularly before you commit to setting in the outer rockers. You'll thank yourself later.

Doug

19. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Robin,
    I did have some rust like in the corner of the doors and right behind the pass door, but not too bad. My rocker boxes are cut out so I was able to take a good look at the under side....over all truck was in good shape. It might of been taken care of like you said...have a look... K5 Painting

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[​IMG] Looks like a good time for a lift.
    If you have plans for a shakle flip, do it while the body is still off. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif