Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

here's why 99% of radio stations suck-

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by greg83k5, Feb 28, 2002.

1. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

here\'s why 99% of radio stations suck-

http://www.msnbc.com/news/715538.asp?cp1=1

they're all owned by the same damn megamonopoly slash-cost-make-you-buy-pepsi-no-balls-corporate-computer-decided-playlist

huge corporation that heeds the ' dumbest buy the mostest play what the mostest wanta hear' philosophy.......

around december i snapped the antenna off my truck trying to get out of a brushy creek.... i haven't missed it.....

greg

* www.teamsportracing.com *

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

Re: here\'s why 99% of radio stations suck-

yeah, i heard that too,

I think youve got some deleting to do as well!

-matt
    <font color=purple> "Stuff's only good for 2 things, degreasing engines and killing brain cells"</font color=purple>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</a>

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

The only thing I listen to on the radio is Tom Leykis and Howard Stern, music stations just bite, talk radio is at least entertaining...most of the time

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.msnbc.com/news/715538.asp?cp1=1>clicky</a>

<font color=blue>"When all else fails, read the instructions, or get a bigger hammer"</font color=blue>

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Ummmm...

Not for nothing, but computers have been making the playlist for the last 10 years (probably longer, I have 386's that used to program stations)... Ever call in a request and wait hours to never hear it? People decide what the station will or will not play (that will never change), computers decide when and how often they will play it, and in almost every FM/music station in america today, a computer is doing the actual playing, whether a jock is present or not. My old boss held out for as long as he could playing CD's, but as soon as they let him go to "save money", they mandated playback through the computer.

Boy, I could write a book in reply... I used to be an on-air jock and studio engineer. I watched the industry totally change after the telecom act...

There are a lot of benefits to corporate ownership, too, though.

Ratch
    CK5 album &lt;-- New Wheelin' pics!
    This is not a new signature.

6. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I havn't purposefully listened to the radio in any of my trucks since I bought them. CD's, Tapes, and MP3's is where its at when I want something Not Suck to listen to. I could never stand the fact that every time I turned on the radio, I would somehow magicaly catch it in the middle of a 30 minute Commercial break. then they'd have 7 minutes of Continuous `music' interrupted only by the DJ coming on to rant about something, and claim they play the most music EVAR, and how much all the other stations suck at the music picking, and how cool he is, and how he's gonna go get plastered this weekend, and hang out with a girl, and talk to some celebrty, and this and that... then back into the commercials...

my CD's don't have commercials on them, nor do they have DJ's who talk for 20% of every hour about how little they talk... I was thinking about getting a new antenna windshield for my truck, since the old one is completely spider webbed with cracks, and rocks, but I don't think the extra 150 bucks is worth it any more...

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>Its a Wheelbase Thing... You Wouldn't Understand</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>CK5 SUB-culture</font color=red>

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

thats why i always listen to cd's[​IMG]

wheeling pics

8. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

9. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

Clear Channels licks. I'm annoyed mainly because I can't listen to certain stations on the net anymore. For like the past year, they've cut off internet broadcasting because of the whole advertising controversy BS. How long can it actually take to resolve this?
    It's not like there's no other solutions. One of the local stations http://www.warroom.com

<font color=blue>Rob
    85 K5</font color=blue>
    [​IMG] 24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day - Coincidence?

10. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

what about the XM radio? is that all that it is cracked up to be?

16, 88 jimmy, kearning, but still need help

11. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

I'm not paying a monthly fee for access to radio stations.

XM's going to go under faster than sat phones.

12. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> I agree with you 100% !!!!! I listen to whatever I'm in the mood for at that particular time ! Much better that way ...... besides, Who wants to listen to the same old songs over and over and over and over and over and ...well you get the idea !

13. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I HATE radio... but what I hate more is driving in complete silence... But both of my porta-CD players are broken, and I'm not gonna waste my cash putting a CD player in my Subaru that's hopefully going away... SOON...

14. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Radio sucks... I have an eight cylinder sound system with glasspack amplifiers, and soon I plan on upgrading to Flowmasters. Oh the sweet sound of SBC. I have no interest in being bombarded with commercials and the same crappy songs over and over. I'm a former DJ and I found another line of work because I got sick of playing the same crap all the time. DJs used to be artists that put together sets of music that were creative and personal. Now they've taken the artistic nature out and replaced it with commercialized garbage that I can't stand.