Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Herniated Disc

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by kick, Mar 11, 2007.

1. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

I herniated a disc in my back on 12/27/06. Its L5. Anyone here ever had this. I'm scheduled for back surgery on Mar. 21. Any stories ?

Any input would be appreciated. I'm apprehensive about having back surgery. :confused:

2. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

That's pretty quick. How bad is the pain???

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I have two,,,, I'm focked,it hurts everydamndayalldaylongitwillbemyultamitedemise. Hope that helps...:crazy:
    Or I could give you some lil charmers I've gotten throughout the years..
    Walk it off(thanks coach), I'm not giving you drugs( thanks doc) I got that from the last 4 docs i've been to in 20+ years. For the record I never wanted drugs only wanted the pain to go away. Ima go with walk it off from now on...:haha: Sorry thats as serious as I can be. I wish I were kidding....:crazy:

4. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Had two serious surgeries and several minor proceedures. The best info I can give you is to deal with it until you just can't take the pain any longer. Some do well, some do great, many do the same, and alot get worse. If it is where you can't deal with the pain with meds any longer then go for it, if not think twice about it.

5. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

In regards specifically with your spine:

How many opinions did you get? I think two is minimum, three is better. Unless you know the doc is renown in his field, seek at least one more opinion.
    Working in the medical field I've learned if you have problem 'A' and ask ten docs, you'll get at least three to five varying opinions.

Good luck.

BTW, I herniated a disc between C5 and C6 in a mountain bike accident. I had to have emergency surgery because the disc was completely flattened due to the impact and the spinal cord was compromised.
    Now I have plates, screws and cadaver bone in place.

6. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I herniated 2 discs about 8 years ago. I was able to have a series of spinal injections to relieve the pressure and allow the disc to kinda work back. Since then I have a dull ache but not all of the time. Usually after I have spent a lot of time over working it with lifting and pulling, basically work. I was fortunate after the rehab and all to be back to mostly normal. Originally I could not even walk from the pain.

Good luck.

7. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I'd PM "docgab". He's a chiropractor and can probably give better insight than the rest of us. I would try to avoid surgery if possible. If it has not gotten beyond repair maybe a chiropractor can help. The chiropractor I see has a "Lordex" system that can repair discs but I don't know if it would help in your case or not.

I'd go here http://idealspine.com/pages/index.html and find a Dr. in your area. Good luck.

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

3 herinated discs, 1 crushed vertebrea, and mega nerve damage coupled with severe degenerative disease. I was living off pain meds for several years before I couldn't take it anymore. I was taking 6-8 Norflex and Vicoden (each :eek1: ) per day just to function and then another 3 or 4 of each at night w/ a 4 shot whiskey chaser just to sleep for more than 2 hours.

I am a positive example of surgery. When I couldn't take it anymore, I went to Oregon Health Sciences University and talked to Dr. Robert Hart. I picked him becuase he is the absolute best in his field in the Pacific Northwest. He is the doc that teaches all the others what to do. He is like the guy that teaches all the other Master Back Mechanics :D I did LOTS of research and had at least a half dozen appointments to talk about my concerns and what procedures he would recommend/perform if I let him.

I also saw many other docs over the years and they all said it was either radical surgery, or I had to figure out a way to keep living with it. I wasn't living. I was existing. I couldn't do anything with my kids, it was getting to the point where I was missing a lot of work, and I was headed into a really bad place in my head. Wierd sh*t lives there. I don't ever wanna go back.:whistle:

I finally let Dr. Hart cut me open. I am fused from my hips to about 6" up my spine. I have to admit, during the first 30 days of recovery, I thought I had made the biggest mistake of my life :eek1: I hurt like hell and it seemed that massives doses of pain meds barely took the edge off. During the 2nd month, I started to feel a little better. I still had pain, but not as bad as what it was before. In the 3rd month I started to feel even better. By the 6th month. I was completely off pain meds and was able to do things I hadn't been able to for a long time (like bend over and touch my toes:eek1: ).

It's been 1.5 years now and I feel better than I have since I was a teenager! I have been "living" more than ever before. I am able to do stuff with my kids and I can wheel aggressively like I used to as well :woot:

I still have my sore days, but they are nothing compared to what they used to be. Now they are a minor nusance, compared to a debilitating ordeal that they used to be.

Again, I STRESS that I am a positive example. There are just as many bad examples, but I firmly believe that how well the outcome is depends on the level of research you do, how much you educate yourself, how good the doctor is, how positive your attitude is, and how much you want to get "better".

Whatever you do. Make sure you get lots of opinions, ask lots of questions, make sure you are informed, and pick a GREAT doctor even if your insurance doesn't cover them. Screw the ins. company, they have no interest in your health, they only care about spending as little as possible on you.

It boils down to doing what is best for you and your life. Consider it carefully because once they cut it out. They can't put it back.

9. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't do surgery as first option. There is no guarantee that any pain relief will occur.

L4-L5 herniation is common. There is a relatively new traction unit, the DRX9000, that has shown some pretty great results with herniated disk problems. If you can get the disk back in place and hydrated I see no need for surgery. Once the disk is back in place, prolotherapy to the lumbar back will repair the ligament laxity so the disks won't keep herniating.

Google drx9000 and prolotherapy for info. BTW, not all prolotherapists are created equal. I have a source for those who are excellent, so be happy to help you find one if you're ever nterested.

10. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

"Between the L3-4 and L4-5 disc there is a left anterolateral epidural mass which extends out through the left L4-5 foramen. This probably represents a large disc herniation. Because of the forminal extension however, it would be important for the patient to return for enhanced examination to make sure that this is not a neoplasm instead. Mass effect from the leison produces moderate narrowing of the thecal sacc at the level of the L4 vertebral body and also severely narrows the outlet of the L4-5 foramen."

The Neuro said it was the largest herniation he has seen and was quite excited with the prospect of removing it.

So here I am. My wife is a PACU (recovery room) RN and helped select my Neuro guy. I also was a surgical Tech going for my RN and seen this operation done. So needless to say I'm not looking foward to it. If I have it done.
    :crazy:

11. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

Thanks Skigirl that drx9000 seems promising. There is a place near me I'm gonna check it out

12. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Moto (my Wife) herniated a L1 and after a long time fooling around with a useless doc and 2 injections with BAD results, she found another Doc. One with the DRX9000 machine. after a couple weeks they tried a @shot epidural on Both sides. She is starting to walk this week and is now on to Physical therapy and lite work outs.

One of my friend has been really inspirational. He had a herniated disk and has worked his way back in shape.(says he does 250 sit ups twice a week) he is doing Iorn Mans now. I envy him and I am in shape.

13. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

You're welcome. I've seen some remarkable results. Be sure to follow up to eliminate neoplasm as a cause too.

14. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Last March I fell and herniated t6 and t7. Very unusual as it is so high in the back (basically between my shoulder blades), and there is not a lot of disc tissue there. The pain was unbelievable. I thought I could handle pain, but found I am a wuss. Even with all the supposedly good drugs I was left laying on the floor screaming in pain.

Little embarresed to admit this in open, but it got to the point in April that I was starting to feel like I couldn't hold on any longer, and began to consider a more permenant means of pain management. When I finally admitted to the doctors that I was having some really bad thoughts they did an epidual (ran a catheter from the base of my spine up to the problem area and flooded it with steroids, pain killer, and anti- imflamatories. This brought the pain down to a manageable level that so i could survive with the Percocets, Tramadols, and muscle relaxers. I also had a number of shots into the muscles to try too get the muscles to relax, and a few months of rehab.

Then in October and Novemeber I got to the point I could get off the drugs. That was fun, let me tell you! :eek1:

I am just now, a year later getting to the point were I am starting to think about trying to work on the truck, and maybe try to ride the sled and see how I do. I still feel quite a bit less than a 100 percent.

I don't remember the summer or fall for the most part. I did learn who my friends are, and I have some real good friends! I had to learn to let others help me. Take your time, and do the rehab. Also, I found one of the things that helped me the most was stretching. I got one of those big workout balls, a Palutis ball are what they are called I think, and used that to stretch. I still do that five or six times a day. They would not do surgery on me, because to get to the damaged areas they would have had to go in through the chest, move all the organs and then get rid of the tissue.

I hope you are not as bad as I was, but if you want to talk, or have any questions shoot me a pm and I will answer what I can. I feel your pain man, and would have had the surgery in a heart beat if I could have.

Good luck.

15. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

Wow ! I thought I had back pain :eek1: . I see my chiro once a month for lower back issues and I have arthritis in my neck ( causes my migranes) . I hurt my back along time ago by lifting a huge 4 foot by 10 ft custom oak door into a door machine and pulled a lower back muscle . I did the rehab thing but the doctor said it was permanet damage . As a carpenter I still lift heavy stuff every day ( including doors :doah: ) . I have to always stretch out and when the pain gets bad I take some 800mg Ibuprofens and take it easy for awhile . At this point in my life and I've been told " for the rest of my life" it's just pain management . Living with constant pain sucks and YES I have been to that dark place in my mind that tells me to just fk it and give up . I just try harder and it helps to have a great wife and freinds/family that are supportive . I will not do the drug thing or even smoking pot for the pain as I have to take piss tests for the different jobs that I go to . I'm 41 and I just have to make it to 55 and then I can retire . Good luck with you guys . I'm afraid of surgery . I'm going in tomorrow to have my elbow looked at , they want to cut it open and clean it out :eek1: . I'm gonna put it off for as long as I can ( to much work to miss right now ) .

16. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

:bow: Thanks to all that replied.The input was helpful. My disc kinda healed itself. Neuro doc said sometimes the material is reabsorbed . My wife the nurse probably could explain this more technically. But at any rate I'm good to go. Thanks all ---- Charlie

17. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thats great. Good to hear that. I just wish my Wife was better yet. She is making progress but it is really slow.

18. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have 2 herniated disks in my back. bad rotators in my shoulders, hurt knees bad hip and a whole bunch of other chit and broke bones I got from MX racing for 20 years off and on.
    I see my chiropractor regularly and eat glucosamine by the bottle.
    All the MD doctors I have ever seen because of the pain couldn't wait to cut me open..... but would never guarantee I would live pain free. And said would suffer a lot of mobility loss if they cut me up. FFF that
    Well i'm over 50 now... still riding dirt bikes.... 4 wheeling.. hiking the high country. a hunting and fishing fool. and can kick ass on guys half my age.
    I am glad i never let one of those MD butchers near me.
    A good chiropractor can do wonders for you . But the problem is many of them don't know chit and are quacks. Gotta do your research and find out which ones in your area are really good. A good Chiropractor is like a gift from God.

19. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear it.:waytogo: