Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hesistation at WOT?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, Oct 26, 2005.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Hi, I've got a 1977 Nova that I'm trying to make run right so we can use it for a dune buggy project. However, when you try to go WOT from a standstill, it wants to bog out. It doesn't stall usually but hesitates and then runs good from then on up to the upper RPM. Is this an over fueling issue? Under fueling? I'm really no expert so I was going to ask what sorts of things I should look for to fix.
    Oh yeah, its 2-barrel 305.

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I'm assuming its carburated, more then likely it's the accelarator pump, probably just a small crack or pin hole in it.

3. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Hopefully it's just a defective accl. pump like uncle matty said otherwise welcome to carb tuning world where one symptom can indicate either a rich OR lean condition. yippie. P.S., gettin chilly yet? Cary, ex Winnipegger.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Hope you don't plan on jumping that Nova as a dune buggy project . It has NO frame at all , its unibody with a front subframe , and rear leafs .

You need subframe connectors and a cage :D

As for that carb , someone saw fit to make the book and pics free

http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/Carbs/Rochester/2-Jet/Manual/

5. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Yeah we don't plan on jumping it till we get it tubed up a bit nicer. She'd be pretty wobbly...or it would just fold in half....lol.
    So if its a bad accelerator pump, is it injecting too much or too little? I'm going to go with more common = too little....

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Take the air cleaner off. With the engine off, work the throttle linkage, while looking down into the carb. Do you see fuel squirting? If not definately bad accel pump. If you only see a little, bad accel pump. Should be squirting out in a fan shaped pattern, at least an inch. The spray won't last long, kinda like a water pistol. Try it 3 or 4 times to get an average. Has the car been sitting long, could be gunked up orifices blocking the fuel from the accel pump. Same symptoms, to me the same cure, rebuild the carb.

7. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Alright thanks for all the help guys. I'll see what I can do.