Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hesitation on accelaration

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KENNY, Dec 18, 2000.

1. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

I HAVE A 84 K5 WITH 4SP 305. I HAVE A HESITATION ON ACCELARATION. WHEN THE CAR IS COLD AND UPON INITIAL ACCELARATION THE CAR HESITATES SLIGHTLY. WHAT SHOULD I CHECK FOR?

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

is it carb or tbi?

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

An '84 should have a carb unless it's been converted. Sounds like the accelerator pump is getting weak. Could be time to rebuild the carb. A new pump comes with the kit.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

4. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

its most likely the choke. i had the same problem with mine i have an 85 4sp 305 now 350, i just adjusted the choke linkage when i first started it up until i found the best set up. you have to remember that a carb will not run as good as a fuel injected car when its cold, just give the motor 2 minutes to warm up before you go

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

if it is a carb i would agree with harryh3 replace the accelerator pump. mine did the same thing changed the pump problem solved

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

6. Hobbes68

Hobbes68 Registered Member

Could be the accelerator pump or the choke pull-off.

7. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

I REBUILT THE CARB AND RECENTLY FIXED THE CHOKE WIRE WHICH HAD A SPLICE IN IT WHICH WAS KEEPING THE CHOKE LIGHT ON. THE CARB IS THE ORIGINAL QUADRAJET. COULD IT BE A VACUUM LINE?

8. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Just bite the bullet and have your carb overhauled, that will immediately rule out several problems. Then look over that choke, see that its getting proper voltage and what the mixture is set for. If it stinks like hell, you're rich and if not that then ummm, well I dunno I've only had it to rich. Then check all your vacuum lines for good measure, you know...cracks, seal, etc. You might also want to check your air inlet of your air cleaner, there is a tube off the exhaust manifold that sends heat up there to adjust how far open it is in cold weather. It should stay closed when its really cold out to keep cold air out until the engine is warm. Does the engine idle smooth also, you could have some ingition trouble but it wouldnt have power all the time, not just when cold.

9. wheelin247

wheelin247 1/2 ton status

try ur intake gasket mine had hesaitation to then i found out it was the intake gasket and fixed it then no more problems just look and see might be the problem ....

10. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

check your timing...just just replaced my distribitor because of the same thing...u might what to try the cap and rotor first but my prob was the HEI distribitor

"whoo my new pic is on the photo page...check it out!!"