Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey 10 bolt guys...i need some quick help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chaz88K5, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

ok i took a job to change the axle seals on a 84 blazer from a guy at work...i figured it would be easy considering it was spose to be a open diff...but when i cracked the cover i found a gov lock...now keep in mine i have never seen one nor worked on one...so my problem is....how do i get the damn C clips out...i cant get anything in there to get to em..if someone could help please...i got it apart right now and need to get it done so i can start workin on my own truck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]

2. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

come on...can anyone help me out here /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's just like on an open diff. You have to pull the center pin before the axles will slide in far enough for the C-clips to fall off. There's a steel block in the center of the diff, that the shaft slides through. You have to take that block out, and the spider gears might have to come out as well, to have enough clearance to get the block out of there.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Its been awhile since I'e done this but heres what I rember.
    Pull the pinion pin part 3/4way out. careful not to let it fall inside the diff
    rotate the carrirer till the pin hits the top outside of the housing.
    You should be able to see the C clips between the thrust block in the very center and the spyder gears
    You have to use a thin screw driver to move the C clips around so the open end point inside of the diff.Other wise you cant push the axel in far enough to get them out.
    When you get the open end pointing in Push the axel in then you can pull the C clips out.
    Hope this helps

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

What Thunder said. I had to do the same procedure a couple of months ago on the one I got from <font color="orange">rockinK5 </font color>.

6. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

got almost all of it done..was changin the brake pads while i was in there and gettin ready slide the drum back on and then i was like oh crap i put the shoes on backwards /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif so i pull it all apart again on that side and go to put it together again and tryin to pry a spring in palce and the bastard slips and come flyin back and jabs about an 1/8 inch into my cutical and nail...it hurts like a sob and my thumb is numb right now...damn /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. HarryH3

Spend $10 on a real pair of brake spring pliers and your hand won't be anywhere near the springs as you remove and install them. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    it hurts like a sob

[/ QUOTE ]
    Pain lets you know you're still alive!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. HarryH3