Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey 14 bolt Gurus where are ya?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4GUNZ4X4Z, Mar 19, 2002.

1. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I just bought a 14 bolt and the guy I got it of off said I needed to tighten down the center bolt on it. Well when I went to go do this 2 of the 8 outside bolts were loose. When I went to put the shft back in and tighten down the 8 outer bolts the 2 that were loose wouldnt bolt back in. They seemed to be stripped. What can I do about fixing the 2 that seem to be stripped? Can I get longer bolts or what?

Also whats the best way to tighten down the center nut after you take out the shafts?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I don't see why you couldn't helicoil the bad holes...

Rene

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I dont see why not either, especially since the other 6 are in there tight. And then even more so if the 2 loose ones were not right next to one another. This would help distribute any loads on it through out the 2 on either side of the helicoiled bolt. Go for it. You really dont have anything to loose.....but an axle /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif j/k Just do it! You can always get another hub, or tap it out to the next "fairly" common bolt size and have 2 sets of bolts....and sockets for that wheel.