Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey 383 guys (and gals)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CaptCrunch, Jul 31, 2001.

1. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

A lot of talk of 383's and vortech heads in recent weeks. Well I have said that the main draw back of the vortechs on a 383 is the small intake ports... well good Ole Edelbrock has come to the rescue w/ the new E-tec heads... Was reading about them for the second or third time in the new Car Craft and decided to see if they had info on their website and could post for all to see... check them out http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

We have talked extensively in the past about engine stuff for my Blazer. I think this is just another reason for me to wait a while before I change anything. There are so many new products and crate motors coming out, its hard to know what to do. I figure I'll let the dust settle and then see what things look like.
    I read about those new heads in my magazine a few days ago too. Sounds pretty sweet. I think a 383 with those heads would be a really fun motor to have. But the big block crate motors are still very tempting.
    What were you saying about those heads and being a daily driver? Is aluminum a bad choice in cold weather?

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

man those do sound like some pretty sweet heads!

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

4. FARTMAN

FARTMAN 1/2 ton status

383 engines stink,just like me!!!! unless ya get a mopar 383 . BEANS THE APPROVED FOOD FER THE MEXICAN ARMY!!!!!!!!

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Basically aluminium is very sensitive to heat and cold... and most times I have found that when you pair an alum head on a cast block... leaks happen when the weather temps are as extreme as they are here in MN.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

6. william

william Registered Member

Aluminum heads on a Cast Block= mucho head gasket swaps! Its always been this way. But if they dont warp on ya, you can pull some ponies out of that setup for a while anyways! Later-

"What are we doing tonite? Same thing we do every nite, Pinky... Try to take over the world!!!!!!!"