Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hey all, Newbie here, please help.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 454Chevelle, Nov 20, 2005.

1. 454Chevelle

454Chevelle Newbie

Hey guys,
    Just have some of the usual Newbie dumb questions for yall...Im a Muscle car guy, but trying to get an 83 Chevy 4x4 up on 40's from a friend. Just wondering though, How hard is it going to be to get parts for this thing( mainly suspension parts) being that I have no Idea what axle it has up front( Most of it looks aftermarket). Also, I know this might seem silly, but im new, so just bare with me here..Wondering how much life I can get out of those 40" Tires. I'll be driving it as a daily driver to work and back, and someone told me that they tend to last a little longer than normal tires simply because of the tread thickness( more rubber). Is this true? or am I in for a huge tire bill every 6 months? It's Florida, so the truck will only see mud and pavement (no rock climbing..;) Its got a 350/TH350 but im stumped on what transfer case its got...any Ideas on what I should look out for on it??(Whats a good case, and what to stay away from) Anyway, thanks!

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Find out from him if its a 1/2, 3/4, or 1 ton. On 40s, your probably gonna need a dana 60, which is in the front of 1tons. To tell if it has a D60 under the front, look on the passenger side where the spring bolts to the axle. If its got 2 U bolts, its either a 10bolt or a dana 44 (probably not gonna be enough for 40s), and if its got 1 ubot and 2 studs, its gonna be a d60.

If its a 3/4 or 1 ton, its gonna have a 14 bolt under the back, 14bolts holding the cover on the diff, and the pumpkin will be kind of a triangle shape. Its super strong, but limits ground clearance. If its got 10 or 12 bolts, its gonna break w/ them 40s.

I heard that big tires last longer, I just kinda laugh, they have more tread, buts its softer. 15-25k is kinda the average. If its something like 40" Boggers, figure 10k out of em.

As far as t-cases, if its a 1 ton its a 205 (strongest, but worst low range, which you dont really need for mud boggin, unless you dont have the horsepower), if its a 1/2 or 3/4 its got either the 203 or the 208. 203 is cast iron, with a moderate low range, and a 208 is aluminum (weak case) but has teh best low range of the 3, but it also has a slipyoke output (not that desireable)

And as far as parts availability, you can get pretty much anything for em. O yeh, last parting words, check for rust before you buy, can get a little expensive if it has no floor under the carpet lol.

And I know I left alot out, someone else will chime in.

3. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Parts will be easy, and cheap.

454Chevelle? My K5 has a 454 out of a '73 Chevelle Police car. Lets see "the man" try and follow me now! hahaha :haha:

4. 454Chevelle

454Chevelle Newbie

wow, 10k??Maybe Ill go to 35's with it, although the 40's are cool as sh$t

As far as rust, it really doesnt have much at all whoever had it before him has taken really good care of it!

5. 454Chevelle

454Chevelle Newbie

Where do you guys get tires at, say 35's-40's??? Whats an average price???

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

if its an '83, it will be a 208. 203s died in '79

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

anywhere but 4WheelParts