Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey all you Vet Blazer guys!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RClivin, Mar 11, 2003.

1. RClivin

RClivin Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Once again it's a case of "if I had known then what I know now" my would have been built quite a bit better for WAAAAAYY cheaper

[/ QUOTE ]

Why dont all of you put your advice down here, I will copy it and put it into a doc and send it to anyone who wants it...

All Us Newbies Would love to hear your wisdom! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Try it and see if it works for you !!!!!!!!!! What works for one person may or may not work for another.

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

My first Blazer was stock.. I put 33's on it. It had 3.08 gears. Before I found this site.. I wasted over $1100.00 putting 4.56 gears and front and rear posi in the damn 10 bolts.. Could have saved up a little more and got a 60 and a 14ff.. Live and learn..

4. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Hey that is my quote! Anyway, just for starters... When purchasing vehicle, look for the stripped down models so that you won't have to pay as much and you won't feel so bad when you start guttin' and cuttin'. If it isn't absolutely necessary toss it. Don't fool around with the stock axles, although quite expensive at first one ton axles will be cheaper in the long run (One ton IS NOT always the best way to go, but most guys here seem to want strictly rock crawling vehicles.) Do not buy lift springs! For the rear just do a cut through flip and make a longer shackle and run 57'' ford springs. For the front move the front hanger forward and use the 52''s that you removed from the back (this will net 4-5'' lift.) Stainless brake lines are overrated, extended rubber lines can be had for $12. Swaybars are overrated, take it completely off and never look back. If the tires don't fit, break out the sawzall. Shocks from the same manufacturer are generally the same price regardless of travel. Safety is important, if you have to hold off on your chrome u-bolts for another week to get new brakes, so be it. "good enough" is not good enough. Reliability is far more important than performance.

This has been my $.02, these mods are not best for everyone, just based on my personal experience. Keep in mind that my truck is still somewhat shiny with power everything, many $$$'s in my 1/2 ton axles and some too short overpriced shocks... But I am still completely satisfied with it's build up thus far but like I said before my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif could have been built better & cheaper had I known these things before.

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

If you have the slightest notion of getting into fourwheeling, save your cash for upgrades, it's much easier that way. Specifically:
    1. Don't waste money on stock size tires. No matter what you think when you first get started, "I don't want to go bigger than 32's", it always grows into: "I wonder how much trimming I have to do to fit 39.5's with a 4"?!" I bought 31" BFG MT's when I first got this pig, which was the biggest waste of money I've ever spent(size-wise not the fact that there're BFGs)
    2. Don't waste money on fancy interior crap. Again, if you have the notion going fourwheeling, it's much easier to have a gutted interior than one with new carpet, door panels etc. After my 31" purchase, I got my hands on brand new carpet and insulation, which lasted about a month then I ripped it all out and it's been that way for 2 years. (Side note: the dual exhaust heats the floor so I don't even use the heater, not that I could use the heater if I wanted but that's anouther story /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif)

6. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

Never never buy A/T, ok they do last a little longer but thats just more time that your stuck with em.
    I traded my 33" M/T's for a set of 35" bigfoot X/T's witch are pretty much an A/T tire because I wanted to have 35's befor one of my buddys.
    Never put a lift block under the front springs Unless its like a zero rate adlief When i bought my truck the guy told
    me it had a new 2" lift. well that lift was blocks all the way around.
    And my latest blunder. If your going run big tires(38's or bigger) gear down especially if your running a 700r.
    I Smoked my 700r within a week so puting the 38's on
    I have 4.11's right now And when i get my th400 put in I am going 5.13's.
    One mor thing there is no such thing as a strong 1/2 ton axel.
    Anthony
    P.S.
    Alwase remember the 6 P's
    Propper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

The answer to the meaning of life is 42.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I love the guide !!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Got your towel ???

9. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

25 bucks isn't that much
    there is a world ok knowledge on CK5 help Steve pay to keep all this great info available online. spend the money and turn your self orange

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I love the guide !!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Got your towel ???

[/ QUOTE ]

towel? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11. XtrmChevy

XtrmChevy 1/2 ton status

Now your talking! 42 put a smile on my face, atleast for a while, then its 44, and then... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I love the guide !!!!! Got your towel ???

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm ready /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I got my towel and my Babble Fish /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    But I'm having trouble fitting the Infinite Improabability Drive with only 4" of lift. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

13. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

come on I am running 38's on 4 inches
    my budy is running 40 on 4 inches
    you could run 44 in 4"
    just get out the sawzall and bye bye firewall

14. RClivin

RClivin Registered Member

WOW!

you guys just saved me so much money!
    lol Blazinaire you found out my quote was of you...

Hey anymore input would be the greatest!

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

15. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

towel? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[towlie]
    "Hey boy's and girls, Don't forget your towel! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    Wanna Get High? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif"
    [/towlie]