Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hey AZ buds, Thinking of taking your advice

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by blazenwhip, Jun 15, 2005.

1. blazenwhip

blazenwhip 1/2 ton status

So, I'm looking into buying a K5 project crawler. I'm considering your advise against destroying my "pretty" blazer. Any suggestion on a starting platform?
    Is it better to find a good working truck as far as drivetrain for cheap. Or find one that has tuffer axles with lockers and not so good drive train?
    I going to look at an '86 that is fairly inexpensive $2,800 and has about 35k on a crate engine and trany rebuild both approx 3yrs ago. It's got a rancho 2.5 lift w/ RS9000's
    Any suggestions would be great.

2. FWP

FWP CRS

If I was to build a crawler (hindsight is 20/20) It wouldn't be a K5, It would be a tube buggy, or a skinny, light vehicle (.ie Toy/ Zuk)- with all chevy parts, of course. Many of the 4+ trails in AZ are too tight for me- kinda sucks. My, .02

I love Marv's fun buggy- that would be the ticket for me (I would maybe change a few things though ;) )

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Dave "k5redneck" would probably sell whats left of his 74 to you if you want something to cage . No drivetrain , and I am taking the seat brackets and core support .

Bedsides already removed .

You could tube it out and just use the front half of the body for registration and emissions which is simple since its a 74 :D

4. blazenwhip

I also found a decent 87 4runner with f/r lockers (IFS though), 5.29 gears, Pro Comp Muds, Rock sliders, F/R custom bumper with swing away tire and jerry can rack, soft top, sun roof, 2" body and 4.5" suupension lifts.
    It has a hydro locked engine though. He wants $3,500 obo. I thought i could pick up that blazer with the good drive train and swap it in the 4runner. But then there is that IFS problem to get rid off. Then I could sell or part out the rest of the blazer to make up the costs. I've got to keep a budget. Does anyone know much about the yotas? Are the 22r's sufficient enogh power. Would it be better to stick with the 22r?

5. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

I sent ya a P.M. about a one ton truck

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I agree with fred. I would love something smaller to wheel. If you are planning on having a family with you then the K5 is a solid start. They aren't horrible rigs, just get bulky after a certain point. I had a super clean shiny rig (as did most of us at some point), and it slowly went to where it is today. There is also a bit of a brotherhood in a hardcore fullsize that you don't see as often in the little rigs. If you go fullsize it will rip and drag itself all over till you can't recognize it and then it will start to squeek. It is just a preference and overall a decision in the group you want to be a part of. There is no reason you can't wheel a yota with fullsizes (I just like to wheel) but there seems to be a desire to arrange groups by size. Maybe it is just me.

7. blazenwhip

Thanks for your imput. I just need to do a little shopping around and find out what works for me and a budget. I don't want to get rid of my Blazer nor do I want to destroy it. I want to keep building it up making it better and better. I've always had a desire to be able to crawl though. I just like wheel'n too. Everyone seems to have a Jeep. That's one of the reasons why I like the K5's, Toys and Suzuki's. Because there's not a million of them out there.

8. bdozeraz

bdozeraz 1/2 ton status

It all depends on how hard core you want to get. It took a lot of years on my blazer before the back half was totally trashed. You can take one and taper the front and rear and go an awful lot of places. My blazer makes it through about 90% of the trails without too much risk of damage. I can't always make the most extreme lines or trails but it doesn't matter what you have there is going to be something you can't make it through. I hear alot of the full blown rock buggy guys complain that they can't find trails that challange them any more. I can still drive mine down the hiway, I still have fun on lesser challange more seanic runs and my wife will still ride with me if the weather gets bad because I can still close it up.
    You just got to decide what works for you, as long as you get out and wheel It's all good.

Brent

9. blazenwhip

I'll figure something out. I didn't really get to see to much of the other guys wheel'n. I was impressed with your rig. Like you said you can still enjoy it on the road and close it up and it's a clean looking tuck too. I talked to you a little about that. I wanted something like an all around truck that I can still drive anywhere if I want. I want to be able to do the Terminator occasionaly. I just want to know I have that capability if I want to use it. To set up my current rig would probably be the cheepest way to go. Find a cheep back up car or pickup for when the rig is down. That's what I've done in the past.
    If I ding it up, I'll just fix it. I still have left over paint and body and the skills to do it.

10. az88k5

az88k5 1/2 ton status

buy Juan's truggy/prerunner/rockcrawler!
    8500 :eek:

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Like others, I would have done it differently. If starting with a full size, then stipped to the frame and build a full bugy off that like Beck if I wanted fairly quick with stock suspension and such. Or a full buggy as Fred said if you want it "right" (based on your definition) and have the time/money.

I've often thought it might not even be GM next time. Maybe SFA toy with EFI 22R. Cheap doublers, better gearing, really strong anxles (especially for the size/weight) when you ditch the birfs, light and narrow, cheap, super dependable, and so on...

Or a Zuki/Sidekick/etc. on Toy axles...

Or....

Or...

:crazy:

12. blazenwhip

who that? Any info, pics?

13. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

toy is the way im going... as for the birfs keep them just upgrade to the 30 spline longs there just as strong as a 60

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I do believe that is a matter for some discussion, but certainly a good choice. Good luck with the project!

15. Desert Yeti

Desert Yeti 1/2 ton status

I agree with this!
    Other factors in my decision to build a K5:
    • I'm very tall and my big ol' goofy legs don't fit well in Jeeps
    • I don't have the finances for a hardcore buggy
    • I want space to take the g/f and dog(s) 4 wheel camping
    • I want to drive on the highway to get to trails
    • Ultimately, I think that the level of fun is directly related to how challenging the trail is for your rig. I'll have a blast taking on 3.5 rated trails in a very moderately built full size.
    • By the same token, I admit that it isn't my daily driver and I wouldn't worry too much about a few dents.

I do find it ironic that for its lack of trees, AZ seems to have some of the narrowest hardcore trails around. :). I was along for the ride with a full size F*rd guy in Moab and running crazy trails there, he only tagged the body once...and very slightly. Just more wide open stuff.

16. teamhickman

teamhickman 1/2 ton status

I really agree with this, at 6'5"/300 Lbs.............. Jeeps just don't cut it!!!!!

Blazers are truely "Fat guy friendly" :D ......at least in my case... :blush: