Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey AZ guys what ya think

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by highlow, Feb 10, 2005.

1. highlow

highlow 1/2 ton status

The blazer is allways a bitch to get running, meaning it will start fine but I have to keep my foot on the throttle to keep it running, usually until it gets to about 120 on the temp gauge then it starts to smooth out and idle on it's own. Once it gets up to 160 180 it purrs like a kitten what gives? The engine is a 350 it's the original and I have put a aluminum intake, edelbrock carb manual choke-locked open, and a msd 6a with a mallory magnetic breakerless distributor.
    Any ideas out there? Or is this the way it is going to be?

Eat Beef

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Bingo , NO CHOKE :D

3. highlow

highlow 1/2 ton status

yeah but when i have hooked up my choke the truck won't start it acts like it is flooded and sounds horrible.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Manual choke you just have to find that sweet spot of how much the air door is open and mark the cable with marker so you pull it out to that spot , and adjust your high idle if so equipped :k5: :k5:

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

sounds just like my edelbrock

I have a performer carb,the same way--I had to convert to manual choke,because the bonehead I bought it from thought by ripping out the choke butterfly and all the fast idle cam setup off of it,his car would go faster--:surepal: --I didnt notice that until I got it home from the swap meet and tried to install it--I found a junk AFB I could rob the choke butterfly from,but I havent been able to find a fast idle cam and linkage for it reasonable,so I live without it..but it sucks without it--forget getting out of the truck to clean snow off the windsheild and expect it to stay running,until its been running long enough to warm up(10 minites in cold weather)...

I have a hard time finding the "sweet spot" for the manual choke too,mine runs without any choke even when ice cold,but it wont idle unless my foot holds it at fast idle,(even with the choke 3/4 closed)and if you try driving away with no choke and its still cold,it usually spits back and tries to stall--once the motor fully warms up,it runs great,it is very annoying to drive it this way in the winter--I've been tempted to put a Q-jet I have from a 425 caddy in the garage on it,to end this choke dilema,but it has been sitting a long time,and I dont feel like re-hashing the throttle and detent cables again...but if the edelbrock keeps icing up like it always does on cold rainy or snowy days,I might just find the ambition to do the swap...Its dangerous to pull out into traffic and have it snuff out on you..:blush:

6. highlow

highlow 1/2 ton status

You now what I think you guys are right on that sweet spot thing I'm gonna try it, plus I re timed it today so we will see if it is any better. Thanks a bunch guys:D

EAT BEEF