Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey Blaze!! ... And other Firebird-T/A nuts

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jul 8, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm looking at a '91 Firebird right now. It has a TBI V8. If this is an all original '91, wouldn't it be a TPI motor?? The girl selling it has no idea. Also, how do I know if it's a Pontiac motor and not a Chevy? This thing looked about as Chevy as you can get...

On a side note, I held the brakes and punched it, and the rear tires spun while it was parked... I was fightin' back a big dumb grin so's not to look like the eager buyer...

2. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Naw, my 92 Firebird is a TBI motor. They put the TBI V8s in the Firebirds and the TPI V8s in the Formulas and Trans Ams. I love my 92, wouldn't sell it for anything. It is also a Chevy motor, they stopped putting Pontiac motors in Pontiacs a long time ago. The motor that is in there is a 305 TBI (LO3).

I'd buy it, you'll enjoy it!

3. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Hey, I jsut realized that this was my first callout on this board! Cool!

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Ahh, so this probably is the original motor... Heck if nothing else, I can yank it for my truck if the car doesn't work out then...

Thanks man!!

5. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

No problem, bud! How is the rest of the car?

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Messssssy! I'm thinking 1 reason I can't buy it right now is parking it on the street... The neighbors used to complain when I had my crappy Jeep and S10 parked out ther, and those at least had decent bodies...

THe interior is all trashed too. Drivers door hinges worn beyond worn, somehow, one guage lens is cracked, the very front nose/bumper cover is from an older TA, but the rest of the body has the 90's ground effects. Paint is pretty much faded realllll bad... It has t-tops, though, and she's asking $1000, I'm thinking I'll offer $500. That motor had some serious guts...

BTW, she had it running when I got there (which makes me a little sketchy), and I noticed the temp was sitting at 220, which was not in the red on that car. If that's a Chevy 305, why are they running it so much hotter than my K5???

7. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

That's about where the temp in my car sat when I got it. 195 degree t-stat stock. I put a 180 in there and it camped out at 195 from then on. If you decide to fix it up and want to change the front bumper, I might be interested in the old one for my 84 TA. The interiors in those cars are actually really easy to fix. They made so many of these cars that parts are pretty readily available in most yards. I'm going to pull an entire interior out of a 85 TA for my 84 and I'm only paying $100!

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, one thing I love about the F-body!! Interchange-ability! I have a set of struts from an '89 T/A that I picked up for my Camaro, and was just about to put on ebay. I may hang on to em now... Whatever I get, I need it to be clean or clean-able so my "office" clothes don't get all fudged up on the 5 minute drive to the train station...

The nose itself by the fenders and rad support looks original, but the rubber bumper cover at the end is different. It doesn't have the scoops under the headlights, I think it just has the cover with the louvers from a mid 80's car. She has a bra on it now, so I wasn't able to see exactly what was under it.

The car's been sitting for about 9 months, so I may be able to steal it. She already lowered the price in the paper once, but in conversation made it seem like she just placed the ad... I track these things a little before going after them...

I'm leaning towards it, but looking at a Camaro in Connecticut with a 280Hp 305 (according to the ad). We'll see what it looks like...

9. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you might get a good deal! Does it look a lot like my car with the GFX and everything?

280hp 305? I wonder if he meant 180. They only had 170 hp stock. Might be a cool car there, too. Just not as good looking as a Firebird. Haha.