Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey Blazer Bash convoy folks

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Tell me the story of Greg's breakdown outside Barstow please.

2. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Well.... it goes something like this....
    High noon i think it was... hot-as-a-bitch out. Burt4x4 ridin' point, Tori89K5 behind him keeping an eye on his amount of smoke from the massive oil leak he had from too much crankcase pressure. (but thats another story)
    [​IMG]
    Frizzlefry next in line

[​IMG]
    with Greg pullin' up the rear.
    [​IMG]
    We all get stopped at the agricultural inspection station, and decide its a good place for Steve (Burt4x4) to add some oil. And get a fresh beer for the road.
    Greg pulls up with a shakey mis-fire... hops out and comments on how poorly his fresh big block is runnin' and how he has lost power just a few miles back. I have him start it up and take a look. Definately a mis in the engine. We hang out a few mins and toss back a few cold ones as the engine cools enough to work on. Taking off the driver side valve cover reveals a rocker arm laying on its side just hangin out taking an oil bath at the bottom of the head, its nut not far away with part off the broken stud still attached. We check our pockets... and of course... nobody has a thread in rocker stud for a BB chevy /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    A couple beers later... Greg and Frizz hit the hwy into Barstow in search of a rocker stud and nut. I take a walk to the inspection station and spend a few minutes calling ahead looking for a dealer, parts house, machine shop or junk yard that has what we need. -no luck-
    The rest of us kick it on the side of the parking lot snackin' on some snacks and keeping cool with some cold ones.
    About an hour later Greg and Frizz return with parts /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I climb back in the engine compartment and toss the parts at Gress motor. A quick valve adjustment another beer and we're ready for the road ! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hell... we even fixed Steve's rig while we were there. Added another PCV to the other valve cover and his oil leak was solved /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif After that,... we all hit the road and sucessfully continue home. THE END
    [​IMG]

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Thanks for the info Tori, I have one question though. Didn't Chris and Greg have trauma finding the part in town and have to go to a junkyard to get it? Seems like I read that when y'all got back, or am I mistaken and got my stories mixed up with another victim's?

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Ya forgot about Steve hopping around on one foot cuz he broke it in Vegas when we were all drunk and he hopped that fence /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[​IMG]

5. FRIZZLEFRY

Ohh yea,we didnt just drive up to Barstow and git a big block rocker stud /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We got off on the main drag in Barstow in search of a parts store.We cruised for a bit and found a Kragens,no rocker studs and told us to go to Napa.Went to Napa,no studs but we did get the stuff for Burts second pcv and a case of oil.So the next place we headed was the GM dealer,no luck there either but there was a small parts place next door that they said would have them so we walkied over there.The guys behind the counter said they had a bunch.GREAT!!I walk down the street to get my truck n trailer,I pull into the parking lot to pick up Greg and he is empty handed.Turns out they had a bunch of small block studs and gave us directions to the wrecking yard.The guy at the yard said he didnt think he had any studs but he would go check.In his pile of heads he found one big block head and it had one stud /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

.....and let's not forget that by that point in the return trip, not only was it hotter than a two-peckered piss ant, but I had already given up on my "walmart tarp" sunshade, so I got to drive through the desert in the heat of the day exposed to the "great wide open"..... Mmmmmm Toasty! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

It's always a good idea to have a short meeting with the crew you are doing your road trip with....something like:

"Well guys, this trip is going to be an adventure. Not just the adventure of wheeling in Moab, but every mile in between. These are some OLD trucks and things are GOING to happen along the way. Let's remember in the spirit of the 'Great American Road Trip', breakdowns are going to be part of the story that we talk about years from now. Let's accept these events as a part of the whole Moab expereince and keep the proper perspective, so that we can have fun not only AT Moab, but all along the way as well...."

I'm glad I gave that little talk to the guys. I needed some understanding and support when I broke down, and I know that Burt was starting to get frazzled about his oil-puking rig and Tori was nursing a transmission problem.... Having the right mindset allows everyone to stick together and be supportive of each other. The same teamwork that works "on the trail" is great to have on the long stretches of highway too!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Had I known this is the way it goes I would have gone too, I was worried I might not make it all the way, that is why I didn't go. Well next year definitely I am going.
    I love the road trips, even more than the trails, well except when the trail gets you even better stories like broken frame or axle shaft...
    Nice story Tori, why so late though?

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ahhhh the memorys
    This was a great road trip despite all the issues and the 15hr days on the road. The guys I traveled with are of the most quality humans I have ever had the pleasure of spending day in and day out with! Without teamwork and friendship this trip would have been terriable!
    Thanks again guys! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. FRIZZLEFRY

People talk about "hard core wheelers" doin this trail and that trail /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Drive for 2 days in a full convertable through deserts so ya can spend 4 more days in another desert and then turn around and drive all the way back again.That to me is "hard core"/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Burt and Greg are by far the most hard core wheelers I know /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

At least I wasnt wheelin on the trail with my windows up and the A/C on :cough:Tori:cough: "But Molly was gettin hot" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

It was a fantastic trip. Nobody in our caravan cared if anyone broke down or not. Just like the event, it only added to the experience. It was no big deal we all had plenty of time to get home, good peeps always equals good times. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Anything coulda happend to anyone of us. But thats just part of the game. Sure beats sittin' on the couch!

And hell yes... Greg for sure is hard-core ! He drove the entire return trip sans top, wearing only a tank top and maybe some sunscreen.
    /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif 38" bias plys hopping down the highway and dual flowmasters singing in the wind.
    Sounds like the makings of a county music video /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    It was hard to watch.... My A/C kept frosting up the windows
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I say we all do it again next year !