Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey box builders

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Z3PR, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Talked to the people at TREO Engineering about air space for the (3) 12" TREO SS subs. They said each sub needs 2 cubic feet of air. I was thinking one comman box for all (3) 12's. I want to fire them upward and the port to fire at the tailgate. This is going in a 76 K5. So how big will a box with 6 cubic foot of air space be ??? I don't know anything about building a box for subwoofers.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If I were you I would fire them down and not towards the tailgate because my experience is that they will resonate really loud when firing towards the tailgate. My box is sealed though and fires down so it will hit harder.
    Oh and I think 6 cubic feet is pretty big. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

the 6 cubic feet is the area so Height X length X width = 6 cubic feet. you could have it 1 foot tall, 2 feet long and 3 feet wide. or you coulds change them around 2 tall, 1 long, 3 wide.

Nick

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    If I were you I would fire them down and not towards the tailgate because my experience is that they will resonate really loud when firing towards the tailgate. My box is sealed though and fires down so it will hit harder.

[/ QUOTE ] No no no, fireing the subs at the roof, not at tailgate. Only port tube will fire at tailgate.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Talked to the people at TREO Engineering about air space for the (3) 12" TREO SS subs. They said each sub needs 2 cubic feet of air. I was thinking one comman box for all (3) 12's. I want to fire them upward and the port to fire at the tailgate. This is going in a 76 K5. So how big will a box with 6 cubic foot of air space be ??? I don't know anything about building a box for subwoofers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I've answered this same question for you before.....but let's do it AGAIN:

First, if you need to get 6 cu ft of airspace inside the box, there are a few things you need to know ahead of time....like the speaker displacement (manufacturer will provide this) and the port displacement (if you are building a ported box).

Once you know how many cu ft (or cubic inches) those things will eat up, you need to make sure that they are added in to the space calculation.....for the sake of arguement, let's say that you end up needing an extra 10% of airspace for account for all the other "stuff" that will be encroaching on that box volume. You would have 6.0 cu ft + .6 cu ft (10% of 6.0) for a total of 6.6 cu ft. or 11,404 cu inches. (6.6 X 1728) <- 1728 is the number of cubic inches in a cubic foot. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

NOW.... there are some dimensions inside your truck that I call "non-negotiable"....these are lengths or widths that simply CAN'T be exceeded because the sheetmetal is in the way. For example the distance between your wheelwells is a "non-negotiable" distance and it's something like 50" wide. If you want to keep the height of the box even with the top of the bedrails, then you have another "non-negotiable" dimension of about 19".......

SO.....what do you do with these non-negotiable numbers? You divide them into that total cubic volume number (11,404 cu in)....and what you'll find is that if you divide out your height, and width......the resulting answer will HAVE to be the length of the box (the front to back dimension in your rear cargo area).....

Therefore: 11,404 / 50" (the width) = 228. Then divide this number by the height (19" in our example) and the resulting answer is:

228 / 19 = 12 inches.

So, a box that's 50" wide x 19" tall x 12" deep will give you 6.6 cu ft.

The problem is that you wanted your speakers facing UP, and the box is only 12" across in that dimension, so you might want to make the box 12 tall, and 19" deep instead.... the point is, with that formula.....you can pick 2 non-negotiable dimensions, and calculate the third one EVERY TIME.

It really works...... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You lost me. I admitt I'm completely clueless about building a sub box. I'm thinking I might be better off having the local stereo shop build it for me. But either way, I'll drop my gas tank and bolt the box down through the floor.

7. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll drop my gas tank and bolt the box down through the floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Build it wide enough and you shouldn't have to drop the tank.

8. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

if you want post up your non-negotiable dimentions and how you want the box to look when done and one of us can probably set you right. Also we need the other stuff that greg talked about. (port and speaker displacement)

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    if you want post up your non-negotiable dimentions and how you want the box to look when done and one of us can probably set you right. Also we need the other stuff that greg talked about. (port and speaker displacement)

[/ QUOTE ]I don't know that stuff. I don't know sh_t about building a box for subs. It'll be going in the back of a 76 K5. (3) 12" TREO SS 12.22 SS subs fireing at the roof, with the port fireing at the tailgate. The People at TREO said each of these SS subs require 2 cubic feet of air space min . I want it to be a one chamber box for all (3) subs. So would that be 6 cubic feet ???

10. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

in my opinion the bass can get alot louder with the ports on the same side as your subs(just how the bass reflex happens within the box), have your subs and your ports facing the roof, you'll be blown away by the difference, but it's all up to you.

11. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

driver is .096 cubit ft displacement
    .096 x 3 = approximatly .3 cubic ft

now if your gonna port it you need to know what size ports and how much space those are gonna take up.
    Greg will have to help me here I've never done any kind of port calculations
    I've only done ports off of manufactures specs.
    just need to know how big of a port and how long.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]

now if your gonna port it you need to know what size ports and how much space those are gonna take up.

[/ QUOTE ] So 3 cubic feet per sub. Would that be a 9 cubic foot box then ???

13. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul.....it's not 3 cu ft, it's .3 (or 3/10ths of a cubic foot)

At this point, you're up to a 6.3 cu ft box....but you still need to know the recommended port size (which is port diameter and port length) to finish the calculations for the box.

Ports can be either round or square or rectangular, so you'll need to know what shape they are talking about when they provide the spec......a 3" square port is larger than a 3" round one (for example)

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul.....it's not 3 cu ft, it's .3 (or 3/10ths of a cubic foot)

At this point, you're up to a 6.3 cu ft box....but you still need to know the recommended port size (which is port diameter and port length) to finish the calculations for the box.

Ports can be either round or square or rectangular, so you'll need to know what shape they are talking about when they provide the spec......a 3" square port is larger than a 3" round one (for example)

[/ QUOTE ] What do you think of rectangular ports ??? I've heard of people talking about "Slot Ports". So would that be a rectangular port maybe ??? I guess I'll need to call TREO Engineering and see what they say.

15. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] No no no, fireing the subs at the roof, not at tailgate. Only port tube will fire at tailgate.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That is going to be loud and boomey /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

yea a slotted port is a rectangular port, same deal.. usually the slotted ports you can tune alot better than round ports that's why all stereo competitors use slotted ports.. ok not all but about 98% of them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif