Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hey click on this

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newbe73, Mar 14, 2002.

1. newbe73

newbe73 Registered Member

hey there everyone,
    my name is chris i am a newbe here and i just wanted to kinda say hi to all of ya. i am 17 and am ia jr in high school. well i have to tell you all i love this site and i am amazed that there are so menny blazer lovers like myself. i plan on takeing some picks of me and my blazer later on but for now i got a problum. after a big snowstorm i tryed to start my blazer and then it would not start so i hooked up the jumper cables and the red hot wier to the alternator started smokingso i took it in to my auto class and checked out the starter and shure as hell there was a wire frid there to so i looked at the starter and replaced it with a rebilt 1 because the brushes and everthing was shot and right now i will be going ove al the wiering to check if a hot wire is touching a groundd . i was just kind wondering if any of you had this problome and could tell me where to start to save me some time. , by the way i have a 73 chevy balzer full removible top with the stock 350, heders and dule exost . also lited it and put 35s under it but i do not think that is big enought any mooore so i want to do 39.5s or 44s , iddd aprecheate it if you wrote back thanks see ya and i will have pics to come. they are nothen specal but they are to me!

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Oh wire gremlins..those are fun,LOL.

You said red hot wire to the alternator? is that the wire out the back of it? cus if you have the red battery cab;e going to the alt. mount you may have hooked the jumper cables up wrong( we did this on my friends grandpas truck cus both his battery cables were red/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif)
    The starter wire should be the pos(+) cable from the battery goes to the bigger post on the starter. the ignition wire goes to the inside post, closest to the block. hope this helps and if I'm wrong, sorry/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif others will reply.

3. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE ( JR ) to be 17 once more ?welcome aboard kid

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

welcom aboard! i'm 17 too there's actually alot of teens in here, me, mudboggAD, NITRO and a few others. dude this site is addictive! if you don't wanna dump tons of $$ into your rig, leave now! j/k you're gonnna love it here. just fill out your profile and get your self a signature and you're one of us!

5. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

hey another 17 year old, im from dallas texas, ya i had 33s, upgraded to 38s, much better, next step is a 454 hehehe. welcome aboard, it gets quite addicting and you wont be eating food cause all the money u had went into that lift kit you got an awesome deal on(trust me i know the feeling). we need a forum strictly for 17 year olds.

phill

6. newbe73

well it is the wire running to theback of the alternaltor. i carged my battery and connectid my wires and and coneceed my battery cables and then it started to smoke agen so it is not the jumer cables

7. wakedog

wakedog 1/2 ton status

Im 17 too and have had my jimmy for a year now and its akready got 14 bolt with discs, d44 HD, 6" BDS front and 4" shaackle flip with block in rear with 36x14.5 TSL Radials. It wouldn't have had half this with out this site. I tis a great site and very helpful.

8. newbe73

ya i kinda do plan on dumping plenty of money into it , and i will have my sr. pic taken of me runnen over a car ya

9. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

Im 18. Ive got an 86 Jimmy 9" lift and 38's. Right now i'm putting one tons under it. Click the link to see it.

10. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

Maybe somehow your altenator shorted out.? If the wire is smoking, that means there is way too much current running through it. You might want to think about pulling the alt and taking to discount/auto zone/pep girls/napa and having it tested. I believe it's a free thing. Good luck.

11. blazentank

blazentank 1/2 ton status

I'm 18 too

12. newbe73

well i do notknow i have gone over it and i gues the guy that have it before me , did a really shity wiring fix job , when i hit the brakesthe blinkes light up like break lighs , outher wise they dont work so what i think i wanna do is get a hole new wiring harness do any of you guys know about how much one will cost if the still make em

13. newbe73

wire gremlins

hmmmmmmmmmmm

14. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

You might want to try www.painlessperformance.com They make all kinds of wiring harnesses. Good luck /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

15. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I think the Painless(what a oxymoron/forums/images/icons/wink.gif) wiring harnesses are about 400-500 bones.

16. newbe73

500 to 600 $$$$$$$$$ that seems like alot , i am not shure what you mean by bones

17. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Bones just means money, hey I'am also 17 almost 18 and I have a 90 jimmy on 1 ton's, 6.5 BDS lift and 37x12.5 SSR's, I just wish mine was a full removable top like yours /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif you can see mine on the members rides under Derf00, thats my dads handle, we kinda share the addiction /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

18. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Welcome aboard!

All these kids around here are making me feel old!!!!! LOL!!

19. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

ahh yes....the ole "blinkers come on when brake applied" gig. as far as thats concerned, check the flasher relay in the fuse panel and go around and check/replace the bulbs. it always surprises that amount of stuff that can happen when bulbs are bad.

welcome aboard...............rob

20. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Heres a wiring harness for ya http://www.crnttech.com/rodshop/default.htm
    Been lookin for one myself, and this is the cheapest one that I've found. Chevy discontinued them last year /forums/images/icons/frown.gif