Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey coach, look what I found....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cbbr, Jan 24, 2006.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

:doah: Student Finds Assault Rifle In School Parking Lot

Rifle Left By Police Officer After Training

FAIRFIELD TOWNSHIP, Ohio -- Officials said students at Edgewood High School in Butler County did the right thing Monday when one of them found an assault rifle, reported WLWT-TV in Cincinnati.

Students were out of school Monday, so the Fairfield Township Police Department used the school's parking lot for training.

But when police packed up, an officer left an AR-15 rifle behind.

A student arriving on campus for baseball practice found the gun and turned it over to his coach.

The Fairfield Township police chief said the officer who left the rifle has an excellent record.

There is no word on any possible disciplinary action.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/education/6396812/detail.html

2. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Can you say: "Future Mall security guard"? He should never be allowed to carry a weapon again.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

At least the student was honest , some would of SOLD/KEPT it :D

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Bingo, and I bet they never use the school grounds again...:eek1:

5. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

A couple months ago the police chief in Laramie left his loaded gun in a public restroom... Wrote himself up for it :haha:

6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Yeah, that makes sense. Fire a guy with an exemplary record and then go and try and find a robot who never makes mistakes to replace him. Everybody makes a mistake now and again. There is a difference between an honest mistake, and negligence, or screwing the pooch and trying to hide it.

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I suppose but thats one hell of a stooopid mistake that could have ended in someones kid being killed or several kids being killed, thats one lucky cop.

8. Desert Rat

There are a lot of what ifs, but you have to look at the whole situation. A gun isn't inherently dangerous, it is simply an inanimate object that can be used, or misused. If some farmer left a rake in the parking lot, and another kid found it and buried it in the face of another kid, would we be crying out for vengeance on the farmer? Whipping one's self into some hysteria about a gun in a parking lot may assume two premises; One, that the gun is evil and dangerous and its mere presence puts everyone in danger. Two, that most students who find a gun immediately do the worst with it. In this case, neither one applied. If the gun would've been misused, losing a job would've paled in comparison to the civil liability suit. But, it wasn't and therefor the officer will receive punishment and/or training commensurate with his mistake.

You also have to look at the big picture. Can you imagine the difficulty a police department would have recruiting any qualified applicants if the standard was that if you make any mistake, no matter whether the outcome actually resulted in something bad, then you lose your job? You accidently ran a stop sign on the way to a call, bad officer clean out your locker. You got into a foot pursuit and left your patrol car running, bad officer, get in the unemployment line. Why? Because either one of these might, I repeat, might have resulted in somebody being hurt. They didn't, but they could've so you are fired. Somebody coud have been hit by your patrol car or somebody could have stolen the shotgun equipped car. So, sayonara. After a while you would have nothing but brain dead morons packing guns and stopping you at zero dark thirty in the morning. Regulations and standards are a good thing. Excessive expectations and unrealistic rigidity will make the public pay more in the long run. Somebody has to do the job and if the job has been made unattractive, your appplicant pool will be mighty thin. I think of this every time I see somebody complain that cops, firemen, politicians, or anybody else in public service have it too good. You get what you pay for and if you want a city or county electrician that is so inept they couldn't work in the private sector doing your traffic lights, then give them low pay. If you want some psycho packing heat and pulling your wife ove on a dark road some night, lower the police benefits. If you want to see absurd response times from the fire department when your house is starting to catch fire, then go ahead and make public safety minimum wage and then put ridiculous expectations on top of that. Anybody with any talent is going to evaluate public vs. private sector employment and do what is best for them. If the gap between the two is overly wide, you will reap the reward of all your talent avoiding public service like the plageu. Ok, rant over.............

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Fair enough, But I know from first hand experience, so none of your logic or reasoning mumbojumbo means squat to me....;) :bow:

10. Desert Rat

First hand? This isn't going to be a story about that time you got locked up in the drunk tank and ended up with silent farts is it......?:eek1:

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I've never been arrested, but I have farted...

12. Desert Rat

Ah, but did anybody hear it?

13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Well as I stated, I have never been to jail, so the spinkter can still carry a tune...:haha:

14. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I get an awesome mental image with this. Two kids looking at a rake, one picks it up, and they examine it closer. All the sudden, Jimmy goes ****ing ape**** and plants it in Bobby's face... Hilarious!

Anywho, if I found that in my school parking lot, I'd safe it, unload it, and take it into the office. Assuming some dumb**** didn't take me down before I got there... But then, I'm confident enough with my firearms knowledge to be able to do these things without a problem. Other people are the ones I worry aboot...

15. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't know if the guy should be fired or not, but I do not think that it takes a "robot" to remember an AR-15. It's not really like leaving your sunglasses behind.:rolleyes:

16. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Look, what you do with/to your hands on your time is your problem... :haha:

-- A

17. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Wonder where exactly in the parking lot the kid who found it did find it? It wasn't just laying on the pavement waiting to be picked up was it?

18. Desert Rat

Well, it really doesn't matter where it was, it is more important what the entire story is. Did he have it unloaded in the case leaning against the side of the car with tons of other gear to be loaded in the trunk and it fell over and he missed it? Did it get laid on the trunk of one officers car waiting to be loaded in another car and was overlooked? Did they get an emergency call and in their haste to load up, didn't see where it was laying? You also as I said above have to look at the person responsible. If the officer had a track record of irresonsibility, I'd say this might be the straw that breaks the camels back and he needs to go. If this is an unusual mistake in an otherwise exemplary career, then you treat it as the aberration that it is.

19. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I can see it now,,,officers arrive to the emergency call,,,,,,

SMITH,,,,COVER ME !!!!!

UHHHHHHHHHHHH,,,,,:haha: :haha: :haha:

20. Desert Rat

I would hope they have a sidearm..... unless they are in San Francisco, then they just hug them....