Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey computer geeks... check in!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by colbystephens, Jan 12, 2007.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

hey. i've got some questions. i've got this hp pavilion ze4900 laptop. it's got 40gig of memory and 256 megs of ram (or something like that). and now, with all of our big ass photographs (sorry, none are of big asses, and those that are of asses will not be posted :wink1:), are filling up our memory. it's also getting super slow (can that be related to having a ton of pics stored on here?).

what are my options?

can i upgrade the ram and hard-drive space easily and cheap? i'd like to get an apple, since they're good for artwork, so i'm thinking of leasing one in a few months when i'm in a better financial position. is that a better option?

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Save the pics on an external hard drive or on dvd/cd's. Erase them off of your current hard drive.

3. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Get an external hard drive and more ram. RAM is like horsepower, you cant have to much. I currently have 2 gb in the computer I built and would like to add 2 gb more.

4. colbystephens

don't want to delete the photos off the computer, as we take the computer around and show pics to people.

how do i add more ram?

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If the hard drive is geting loaded, you realy need to either get an external drive to keep stuff on, or just go ahead and upgrade to a new computer. You can get an external drive cheap and just carry it with the laptop. I keep one in my case.

6. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

you dont need more then 2gb. in his case his problem is its a HP :D

add another 256mb ram, get a dvd burner or even a external drive. There cheap enough and if you run a network alot are stand alone these days.

if you can or want, go up to 1-2 gig ram, and make sure you set your swap space to a minimum of 2g up to 4g.

defrag your drive.

do a control alt delete and go to programs and see what is running, close everything you dont use. Also go to start/programs/startup and delete anything you dont use.

7. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

also, you can burn them to a dvd, then get a portable dvd player, just as easy to show pictures

8. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm not sure how many pictures you have on your computer, but have you thought about resizing your photos? If your not printing them out and need don't need crystal clarity, I find that a pixel size of 1000x750 is more than enough quality for showing pics on a computer.

I know some cameras take pictures at like 2200x1672 and higher, which makes for a huge picture that only fits say one-quarter the computer screen when at full pixel strength. Unless you're printing them out into a wall poster of your pictures they don't have to be that big.

Resizing the pictures (if you don't have too many) would definitely free up some space. If you have Microsoft Paint in your computer you can resize them there. I use Photoshop to do mine.

Putting them on CD is a great idea, I take so many pictures that even with resizing I still have to clean out my computer from time to time and archive them on CDs, but I have at least 5000 pictures on there right now and my computer runs great.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, external drive is the way to go. You might get a program called "CCleaner" from the web also. Its free and deletes all kinds of space-wasting crap from your PC. Pretty handy. I run it all the time on my home PC. If you ever attach your laptop to the web, you NEED a program like that to clean things out from time to time. I run CCleaner and EasyCleaner also... it will go through the registry and make sure everything is a-ok also.

If your HD is just overflowing with data you actually want (as opposed to junk you don't!) then you're gonna need to upgrade your HD (even possible on a laptop? i dunno...) or get an external one. They make some small easy to tote external drives these days.

AFA getting an apple... I wouldn't if I was you. They don't do anything you can't do on a PC for less... a lot le$$.

j

10. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

Here are your memory upgrade options
    Manufacturer HP - Compaq
    Model Pavilion ze4900 Series
    Maximum Memory 2048MB
    Standard Memory 512MB removable
    Number of Slots 2 (2 banks of 1)
    Notes

Module Size Part No. Memory Type
    512MB DX762A DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 64Meg x 64

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?product_code=DX762A

or hunt around on newegg.com

dont know how many pin's your mem is, but here is a page full

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2010170381+1052907864&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=381

enjoy

11. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

fyi, the new apple laptops are way better then most of the window's based laptops.

If all your gonna do is pictures and internet stuff, get a apple. there awesome these day. my friend has one and i realllllllly want one after playing with his.

12. colbystephens

you make some good points, but as you stick around ck5 you'll begin to understand what i mean when i say i'm not going to resize my photos. :D

13. colbystephens

photo editing is our thing... really want to get into professional quality image processing. every successful photographer i know has apple stuff, thus the draw to mac. i also dig the fact that they don't have any viruses. :)

14. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i consider my self a nerd, and i agree with everything said above! external storage, or burn them on DVD and keep the DVD's with you. Extra ram will help it run smoother, but not allow you to hold more. Generally, the more you have on your hard disk, the slower it will run. So remove unwanted apps, and clear off your photos and you should be good.

15. colbystephens

why does having more on your hard drive make it run slower (try to use english please. :) ) i can hardly understand most of the computer stuff written in this thread.

16. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

its like a record, it writes in a circle shape, like a CD also.

so if all the information is close in one spot, it can access it fast, but say its full, then you delete 25 songs, then you add 250 images, those files won't be written next to each other on the drive, so the more you write, and delete, the more fragmented files you'll have thus a slower computer. You can defrag, but from what I hear, most programs are a joke. If you put less on the disk, and defrag it often, it should run pretty good.

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

If that is the case... here is a question worth asking: do you frequently defrag your HD? If not, that could be part of your speed problem...

j

18. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

the more on your drive doesnt affect the speed. if its fragmented, then yes it will affect it. Run a defrag.

Your problem is you are running way to many apps for window's 2000, XP. The OS alone use's a good bit of ram and when you start running graphics intensive programs, you start using way to much ram. When you run out or ram your pc starts using your hard drive as ram Thats what we call swap space. Your HD is way slow to be using it as ram. Once you get 512-1G ram in your machine you will notice a big diff.

you can also get a new hard drive, which would run at 7200rpm's rather then 5200rpms. better access times.

like i said, remove what you dont need, that includes aol crap, games, ect. if you dont use it, remove it. Also remove anything in your startup folder, and close anything that runs in the background.

Apple is your best bet if you do photo stuff, and remember you can run most windows based stuff if you immulate properly.

19. colbystephens

define immulate.

20. colbystephens

i do defrag. didn't think about windows xp using the ram... makes sense tho. should've bought bigger ram to begin with. i'm thinking maybe i should just go for a bigger computer, as i have many photo files that are over 3 gigs in size, so as time progresses, thats gonna max out my 40 gigs of memory pretty quick.