Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hey computer guys...how do you get around a sonic wall?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Chaz88K5, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

ok well...at work they installed a sonic wall...it can track every web site you have been to and how long you have been on each site...so i got busted for playin too much...now how do i get around it with out being tracked...anyone know? i have access to all the computers on the weekends so i can screw with it then if i knew how to do it...any help would be nice... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif i have to be able to check ck5 while at work! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I don't think you can, unless you can plug directly into the T/DSL/Cable interface/router, which is very unlikely. I have a manual for a sonicwall somewhere here. I'll see if I can dig it up and let you know...
    BTW, do you know what model it is? I had a SOHO-50 at my old job which was a 20 user plant.

Maybe a browsing site like Anonymizer.com or something similar can help.

Or you could go around to every computer you can and run a little batch on each one that opens up a pile of webpages and floods thier logs...

3. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i know it runs a max of 10 users...and i can get access to the router its self...and to the dsl connection...but how would i wire it so i could get on the internet undetected and still be able to use network software /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well, depends on your network abilities. I'd install a second Network card in the machine, run a line strait to the router, and set it up to use one card for internet, the other for office. That's a little unrealistic though. I'm not sure how you can get around it and still have access to the office, the only way would be to stay on the office side of the firewall.
    I'd guess you have a SOHO-10, which I think I also have a manual for, although I think they're the same up to 100... I'll dig around and get back to you.

5. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

If you have a PC outside of work, that you can connect to... (IE: a PC at home on cable or DSL) you could use something like VNC to connect to it from inside the office. VNC can use port 80 which is ignored by the sonic wall. If you don't want to use VNC, you could also setup an SSL connection to connect to a PC outside of your office... (a little more complicated!) sort of like a proxy, just one that is not in the office! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Hope that helps!

VNC Info:
    VNC Software
    SSL Info:
    SSL info for Microsoft Windows 2000 Server

The trick is to use a port that the sonic wall will ignore! Even software like PCAnywhere can be configured to work on port 80! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

IMHO, I would be very careful tampering with the actual equipment. A stunt like that could get you FIRED real quick. I would look into fooling the device more than running new cables, and changing your PCs hardware...

Just my .02!

-Dan

6. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i am not worried about gettin fired...work for family so i can get away with alot of crap...belive me i have...shoot i routed one of our drivers hauling a over height load right into a over pass on the freeway...that was a 40,000 mistake...oops /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

LMAO! Well in that case, spend $80, put your own Cable/DSL router in front of the Sonic Wall, plug one NIC into that, and the original NIC into the existing port. And as stated above, run one NIC to get the internet on one side, and access the network from the other side. If you want to do this PM me, and I'd be happy to help.

Otherwise, get the admin password for the Sonic Wall, and tell it to ignore your IP, and not to log anything for you! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif That's the easy way around this!

-Dan

8. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

KRAZIE87, this may sound dumb, but...
    Why would the sonic wall ignore port 80? That's the http port and that's where most people who play around at work play around...by going to ck5.com etc.
    It would seem to me that it would log all ports.
    Maybe the manual would be of assistance in figuring out what it does and doesn't log.
    And yes, I'd fully recommend using a proxy. Worst case is that they know you're online a lot, but dunno what you're doing.
    -- Mike