Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey detailers, cleaning carpets. what to use?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bablazer73, Jan 20, 2004.

1. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifI have all the carpets out of my 87. Trying to clean them before I put them in the 76. The rear cargo carpet and the wheel well covers came out good. the main carpet has alot of ground in dirt and grease. I am useing a hoover home steam cleaner. My wife uses resolve soap in it. worked ok on the light stuff, but ain't doing S$#T on the heavy stuff. What does/would a "true" profesional use? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Resolve makes a spot spray that works pretty good.

4. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

I spray them down good with either Greased Lighting or Purple Stuff, it's actually easier and better to just mix a qrt. of either in a couple gallons of water and just slosh it on.

Let it soak in for a few minutes then use a pressure washer to spray off till you get most of the suds out. Then suck up as much water as possible with the Wet/Dry vac.. If it has the jute/fuzzy backing on the backside of the carpet,,, it will take a while to dry out. In the summer it'll back a couple of days. Maybe throw it in the back of your pick-up while driving around.

If you don't own a pressure washer and a wet vac.,,,,, a coin operated car wash fits the bill fine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

I have used Orange oil degreaser, found in the auto detail isle for around $3 a bottle, spray it on full strength and let it sit for 10 minutes, spray some water onto it then take a stiff bristle brush and scrub it working the cleaner down into it. Then take a steam cleaner to it or a wet/dry vac and suck out the liquid. It works as good as the expensive cleaners and smells better. It will take the carpet several days to dry completely in the summer, winter time it will be several weeks unless you dry them indoors or near a heater.

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

The carpets are out. The rear only took a day to dry in my cellar. I was going to try washing them at the car wash, but it's only 10 degrees out. I think it would freeze before I get it done! But I'll try the orange cleaner. I thunk i have some.