Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey everybody, LOOK HERE!!! =)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CrazeeBush, Jun 7, 2001.

1. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

okay, got everything basically planned out, but one more problem remains. How many people out there are running full-length headers with a single exhaust? I'd love to go true duals with this, but I'd rather not have to hassle with the emmisions people. Well, if you have duals with 2 cats, let me know as well. I'm trying to get a good idea of this before I rush into.

Next, I'd like to see pictures of your setup if at all possible. I'm trying to get an idea of how the pipes will run around the transfer case and such. Where do full length headers typiccly end? Does the collecter end right beside the front shackles? I need some advice and pictures pronto..

Thanks in advance..

c'mon.... Pweeeeeaz, I need pictures.. [​IMG]

Hi, my name is Josh, and I'm a bandwidthaholic. I've been bandwidth free for 1 week.
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://josh.coloradok5.com>http://josh.coloradok5.com</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by CrazeeBush on 06/08/01 08:36 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. CrazeeBush

Re: one more call for exhaust advice...

ttt, I need pictures!!! [​IMG]

Hi, my name is Josh, and I'm a bandwidthaholic. I've been bandwidth free for 1 week.
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://josh.coloradok5.com>http://josh.coloradok5.com</A>

3. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

i have a 76 that has true duals but it has no cats just mufflers which im gonna cut off, if u want i can send some pics.

phill

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well in GA at least as long as all the gas exiting the pipes runs through a converter you pass the visual. On my 79 I run true duals with Catco cats I got from Auto zone. The cats end up just past the transfercase. I think the cats are only rated 4liters but your running less than 3 through them in true dual set up.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

5. iceman

iceman 1/2 ton status

Just another thought. I'm running block hugger headers, on the passenger side I go forward with the exhaust under the oil pan (keeping a safe distance for heat) around to the drivers side, where I hook up by (Y) pipe to that side and through a cat then muffler and out single exhaust. 2 1/5 in. pipe to start and 3 in. on out, this gets the system out of my way if I need to drop the tranny or do service work. Just a thought. Iceman

6. CrazeeBush

I'd like to see pictures of all of these. Post a URL here or send them to my email crazeebush@aol.com

anyone else?

-BuSH
    I'm a dislectic agnostic. I believe in a higher being, his name is DOG. [​IMG]

7. CrazeeBush

ttt

-BuSH

8. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I have full length Thorleys with a single exhaust. My crossover pipe runs under the front driveshaft, just in front of the t-case skid plate. It is the Thorley regular piece for a truck lifted 4-6". I don't like how low it hangs, it could be tucked up a bit closer without driveline interference...I have hit it a couple of times.

9. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I have full length Thorleys with a single exhaust. My crossover pipe runs under the front driveshaft, just in front of the t-case skid plate. It is the Thorley regular piece for a truck lifted 4-6". I don't like how low it hangs, it could be tucked up a bit closer without driveline interference...I have hit it a couple of times. I will try to get my brother to take some pics of it this weekend, he is the one with all the computer knowhow and the digital camera...

10. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

I don't know a lot, but I do know that dual 2.5"'s have the same cross sectional area as one 3". Keep that in mind always. It's all about keeping the cross sectional area uniform so as not to create a bottleneck in the flow.

11. 84Sierra

84Sierra Registered Member

2 - 2.5" pipes have a cross-sectional area of 9.8 in^2.
    1 - 3" pipe has a cross-sectional area of 7.1 in^2.

So they don't have the same cross-sectional area.

Sorry but it's not that easy to just look at the cross-sectional area of the pipes. There a lot more factors that go into pipe flow. A small cross-sectional area pipe could out-flow a larger one depending on the other factors. Some other factors that would determine it's flow would be surface area, surface finish, and head loss. The only real way to determine the difference in follow would be to crunch some numbers and calculate the Reynalds number then apply that and so forth. Sorry for the technical info but I'm an engineer. I wouldn't worry so much about flow difference between duel pipes and a 3" single. Or the transition from 2 headers to a single pipe. It won't make that much difference in performance. Here's what I got though.

I have true duel exhaust with full length headmen headers and 2 hi flow cats that I got from Summit for $60 each. My collectors are about 3" past the spring shackls. This is on a 3/4 ton pickup though.

I would sugest going with the duel exhast. If for nothing else it looks really cool. I didn't worry about how it would fit under there. I had my headers on and got my cats and a pair of glass packs and gave it to the muffler man and I let him worry about how to make it all go together down there. He just wanted to know where I wanted the two pipes to come out. I'll try to get you some pics. Hope this helps.

12. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

I must be thinking about 2 2.25" pipes then. Something like that. I know it pertains to my car in a miniscule way and as long as everything is mandrel bent with no 90 bends, I'm happy.
    Sorry I was wrong. Shows how much I know.

13. CrazeeBush

kpanza: I'd really like to see those pics! I'm going to exhaust shops tomorrow to discuss this and try to bargain some costs. It'd be nice if I had pics to sho them.

As far as the flow of a single 3 vs dual 2 1/2's I'd take the dual 2 1/2's any day. It's hard to make 2 pipes flow into one smoothly.

Now, I'd love to have true duals, but Big Brother Uncle Sam says I can't modify emmission equipment. Now basically I could give a [censored], but I have to pass a visual inspection over here in TN. And the whores over at the testing centers check for that stuff. Basically just high school dropouts that get their jollies off screwing people over. So I'll just keep it legal.. [​IMG] Basically, I NEED PICTURES! hehe I don't care if your exhaust is made of flexipipe, just show me. peace out.

-BuSH

14. CrazeeBush

kpanza: If you could get those pics, that'd be great! I talked to some exhaust guys today and I think it'd be better if I had some pics to show him. Find someone with a digital camera and get some pics for me.

-BuSH

15. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

"Hay everybody look here!"

Wow! thats works good, I've clicked here 3 times all ready, still don't have a answere, but I checked anyway!

Twiztid Twiztid Twiztid

- Check with your State regulations, In my state, we fail you if you move the cat. from the O.E. postion after '82.

16. CrazeeBush

lol, I think I'll be fine. It won't be moved far from the OE position if at all. Whoever wrote these regs should be shot. I say we revise them for our benefit. [​IMG]

-BuSH

17. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Or you could go the route I did. I have took a cheap single "legal" exhaust, and replaced it with true duals. Once every two years, I put the legal exhaust back on to pass emissions and then put the duals back. I use stainless clamps and loads of never-seize and it takes 45 minutes tops to swap. Just an idea.

If you didn't built it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?