Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey everyone......I'm a WELDER !!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Hey everyone......I\'m a WELDER !!!!

That is.......I am one who welds......or who HAS welded...? /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

I got my new MIG welder setup up today, and just finished about 3 hours of "practice" on scraps of steel I got from a local shop. I couldn't quite tell what I was supposed to hear or see at first, or how I was supposed to move the gun around.......but after a while, I started to see the "puddle" and tried to make it different shapes (larger & smaller) by moving the gun faster and slower.....and I started making small circles with the gun to get that "stack of dimes" pattern in the finished welds.

I started out just making welds on a flat piece of 1/4" plate.....just line after line after line.....then I tried some lap joints, and that seemed more like "real welding" since I was filling a crevice with metal, instead of just laying it on top.

I messed around with the wire speed settings and amperage settings a little......and burned a few holes too.

Just thought I'd share. Now that I've begun "fusing metal"....a whole new exciting world is about to open up to me! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

2. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Re: Hey everyone......I\'m a WELDER !!!!

Welcome brother.... we are here for you......

3. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

Congrats, Greg.

Good to hear that (after all the hassles) you finally got the welder you wanted. You’re gonna have a blast with it. What's your first project going to be?

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Hehehehe Melting metal together is great fun! heheheh I love sitting on the driveway a 11pm welding stuff and watching the whole street flash like lightning has hit. Neighbors looking out the window heheh.....sparks flying.... hehhehee.....I'm going to go take my medicine now.
    PS .watch them welding boogers down you shorts and shoes.

5. Greg72

Doug,

I think my first project will be one of those "scrap metal men"......the body is a muffler, and the head is a hubcap....etc.

HAHAHAHA.... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I think my first project....although small, will be to learn how to "fill in" the extra holes in my floorpans....there are lots of holes from 1/16" to 5/16" from little sheetmetal screws to unused rollcage bolt holes. I'd like to get them filled in so that I can keep the water out.....then a quick sandblast of the interior. and some SOUND DEADENING & CARPET WOULD BE NICE.....!!!! IT"S A LITTLE LOUD WHEN I DRIVE IT ON THE HIGHWAY.... sorry for the yelling, the noise is making me deaf! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

6. Greg72

Grimmy,

I had a few "hot boogers" jump in behind my mask and settle in the chin area of the mask....seeing those glowing embers so close to your face is a little distracting!!!!

I went through about 1 pound of .025" wire last night....at this rate, I better go buy the BIG spools instead of the cute little 2-Pounders! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

will be to learn how to "fill in" the extra holes in my floorpans....there are lots of holes from 1/16" to 5/16" from little sheetmetal

<hr></blockquote>
    There's a trick to filling in holes like that. Get some small pieces of copper or aluminum to put on the underside of the hole as tight to the metal as possible. Then fill the hole. The copper or aluminum will not fuse to the steel and will act as 'backing' so you don't end up with big goobers or worse yet even bigger holes.

BTW...congrats on getting started.

Grimmy...shorts while welding? Yer a brave man!/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Rene

8. Greg72

Rene,

Good tip.....I'm gonna try that!

A couple of quick questions:

At the very start when striking an arc, to prevent a "crater" I have been trying to "dwell" for a moment to let the puddle grow a little, then I start moving the gun....is that the right way to do it?

Second, at the end of a weld, how do you prevent a crater? Do you "dwell" and release the trigger, or pull it back from the work and then release?

I started with my helmet set to #12, but I couln't see much....I kept stepping it down until I got to #9. I could finally pick out the puddle and got used to things, and then went back up to #10. Is that too light? Will I be hurting my eyes at that setting? Obviously the spark is still bright but not painfully so....

That's all for now. Thanks for the encouragement! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. possum

possum Registered Member

I too just started welding. Watch wearing sweat pants. They don't stop the flying metal, they burn clean through. Find something for your feet. It ruins socks pretty quick. Those holes in your socks just get bigger and bigger. I'm working on body work right now but I just finished making one of the grills out of expanded metal. Not bad for a first try. But on the sheet metal I can burns holes as good as anyone. This is fun. I'm trying to think of ways to get metal so I can make a bunch of stuff.

10. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Greg..... your set up and using gas right ? You may not have enough pressure flowing for the shield gas. Are you welding outside where the wind can be getting to you ? Try increasing the pressure to about 20 lbs at the regulator, that should keep the weld hot and not create the craters.
    ...Oh ya.... wait till you get a hot little booger inside your ear... you can hear it sizzzzzle !!!!

11. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Hey greg here is another tip..since most of the levi's that we wear they don't cover on the outside of the shoes or boots (they go on close to the leg) hint leaving the area around your shoe or boot coller open.
    I never took of my boots off that fast in my life before HEHEHE
    dam that hurt.................mike

12. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

hehe, TorkDSR's dad welded up a rear tow hitch for him, (that thing is friggin heavy duty) he did the whole thing wearing shorts, he finished up and we found that as he crouched and welded, he Sunburnt the entire inside of his legs!! couldnt sit down for 3 days!!!

13. tRustyK5

Greg, I use shade #10 in my helmet.

Craters at the start of a weld are never a problem, most guys seem to dwell at the start too long andit builds up too much. At the end of a weld I'll stop but not move and wait for a second or so then hit the trigger for a half a second or so to fill the crater at the end.

Rene

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Hehehe I did something like that. Was doing a lot of welding in the garage. One of them "saultry" southern days (read as DAMN hot and humid. Was working in just my shorts. Got myself a nice littel sun burn on my belly LOL. Took me a while to figure it out. I knew I had not been out in the sun for any long period of time. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

15. tRustyK5

Welders tan sucks...

The worst i got was welding a main frame rail for a large trailer. The frame rail is like a shaped 'I' beam and needs to be welded down it's entire length. I was wearing a tank top under my coverall's but didn't have the thing buttoned up like usual. I got burnt in a small area between my collarbones...it was so burnt it actually blistered and was a dark purple color. I did this my last day before my holidays and suffered with it the entire time!

Rene

16. Greg72

Rene,

I went back into the garage for more "practice".....and I was having all kinds of problems getting good looking welds. The welder was spattering and stumbling and wouldn't lay down a good bead at all.... I was starting to wonder if I'd lost my new welding skills already??

Then I looked over and realized that I'd never opened up the valve on the Argon/CO2 tank!!!! No shielding gas and no "flux-core" wire sure made it tough!!!! I cracked the valve open, and suddenly my "skills" came right back!!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

17. tRustyK5

LOL...just wait til you're under the truck in some contortionist position, using undiscovered double jointed talents to wriggle yourself into position...then carefully drop your helmet and pull the trigger just to find out you forgot the ground./forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

No gas = uuuggly!/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Rene

18. Greg72

Oh yes, and I forgot to mention.......I've already set myself on fire!

Threw a hot ember onto my "non-cotton" shirt, which immediately caught fire....didn't notice it for a while, until I smelled something funny and looked down!

That was a "thrill"..... /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

......it's all coming back to me now, DON'T WEAR SYNTHETIC FABRICS WHEN WELDING.... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

19. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I'm a welder by trade, and I gotta tell ya, one thing that has me spoiled is those auto darkening hoods. We have them at work. The ones we have are adjustable from shade 9 to 13. You can adjust then sensitivity so that it'll darken if ya wave your hand in front of it fast enough. There expensive, around $300 for a good one...But as soon as ya use one once, you'll be hooked.
    LOL......A word of caution though....They turn themselves off after about 20 minutes of no use...DO NOT forget to turn them back on...lol..."Look at the pretty light...." /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

20. Greg72

Yep.....I got me one of those too. Kind of an extravagance for a 1st time welder, but everyone was telling me how great they are, and how it really makes you a better welder FASTER.....

Seems to be working. I've made a few small things so far, and the welds are starting to look fairly professional....! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif