Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey everyone in SoCal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by VisionxOrb, Nov 7, 2002.

1. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

Ok, heres the thing. I love building things, cars/trucks computers stereos what have you. BUT!!! im not really able to build my own parts for say my truck ie 4-link front end ect. Does any one know of a school in SoCal preferibly near me. ie ventura or the vally or LA that teaches fabrication skills like using pipe benders and welding. Im sure i could learn on my own but I dont know anyone really with equipent that could teach me.

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Most community colleges have welding shops and some have machining too. It's a bit far from you, but Allan Hancock College (Santa Maria and Lompoc) have plenty of these sort of shop classes. Or you can come see me and I'll show you what it looks like when a bird poops out welding rod /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I've been learning from good ol' trial and err. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I'm in Torrance and I am currently taking welding classes at my local community college. They do have a fabrication class that you can take and if you look under the automotive section, you can see that they have a suspension class. I'm sure if you start taking classes like that you can start getting ideas in your head as to how to build your own set-up. The only other thing is to go to some custom fab shop and tried to get a foot in the door with them. That would probably be the best and most effective way, but the hardest as most shop don't just take anyone off the streets.

4. blwnbwtie

blwnbwtie Registered Member

One of my friends took a welding class at the local community college, they also had a bunch of automotice classes too, like engine building and stuff like that, and a $11 a credit you can loose. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

I know Pierce college has a welding but last time i looked i think it was only arc and gas, no mig or tig but my friend is going to pick me up the next semester catalog so ill look closer and a matter of fact the other community college ( moorpark ) I believe doesnt have a welding class. oh and get this out of all the highschools in the district ( theres like 6 may be more ) only one had a autoshop ( the one I went to made sure of that /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) I must live in a crapy area.
    P.S. Hey Blazinaire do you know my best friend Jake Boytor he lives up in santa maria, has a big prerunner looking white and gold chevy and also a new orange 2wd silverado, probably always has his dirtbike in the back?