Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey everyone, new diesel owner here, and starter question

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by nofeartruckin00, Oct 7, 2003.

1. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Just bought an '86 blazer w/ 6.2L on sunday. The starter is about a month old according to PO, and I think I broke the bendix spring today. If I turn the key, and the motor doesn't turn, but the starter spins a million miles an hour, does that mean the spring isn't pushing the gear into the flywheel? Lot's of great reading in this section!

'91 Jimmy - 5.7L
    '86 Blazer - 6.2L

Both broken ...... already /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

could be stuck may tap it with a hammer to see if it will engage. other thing to look at is wether or not the rear support brace is on the starter. I had a starter that did the same thing but the housing was cracked because the rear support was missing. if you need a new starter i have a brand new auto zone rebuild in the box and a a locally rebuilt starter here.

3. nofeartruckin00

After wiping oil sludge off of it for a half hour, I found that back bracket wasn't attached to the starter stud, and one of the long bolts is totally missing! I think I found my problem /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Thanks for the help! I'm sure the starter is still good, but thanks for the offer.

4. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

hopefully the bolt isnt broke off in the block. I had to drill and easy out mine out.
    cheers, rugger

5. nofeartruckin00

Got a chance to look why the 2nd bolt wouldn't thread in last night.... yup, you are right again, old bolt was snapped off in the threads /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Did you drill a small hole in the center of the snapped off portion, then run an ez-out into it?

6. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

i think i used the second smallest bit in my craftsman easy out set, make sure you keep the drill rpms low and spray wd40 on the bolt as your drilling. You dont want to break the drill bit off or drill a nole that isnt centered. The broken bolt actually backed out pretty easy.