Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey Fabricators...steel pricing is soring..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JK5, Jan 14, 2004.

1. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Due to rising coking coal prices...steel pricing is rising fast!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Coking Coal costs are increasing for steel makers all over the world and could increase as much as 20%.
    The main reason..the Chinese are planing large increases in steel production..and they're buying up coke.. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

In the US....Steel mills cut back there production..because of coke shortages.. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I just bought some steel for one of my projects..
    and noticed a increase of 10%...

I thought I'd give you guys a "Head-up"...
    if you didn't know... /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I need to call in an order for seat bases and angle /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Give it about 20 months and the imports will hit the markets and the price will go down again. It's the steel mill and suppliers chance to hammer the price up because we can't get the imported steel back into the supply chain fast enough. Once the import steel get's back into the main stream, the price will drop at least and lower than current prices. It's everyone chance to make some money.

We buy LOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTs of steel. We told our supplier to pound it up his A$$, that if they wanted us to stay with them after the import hit, they better reconsider there position.

4. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

i say you stick with american companies regardless if the chinese steel is 10% cheaper. this life isn't about just you. spend a little extra and help out america's slowly fading steel industry.

5. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

The main reason..the Chinese are planing large increases in steel production..and they're buying up coke.. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

In the US....Steel mills cut back there production..because of coke shortages.. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I drink Pepsi, you never have issues like this with it.

6. JK5

[ QUOTE ]
    Give it about 20 months and the imports will hit the markets and the price will go down again. It's the steel mill and suppliers chance to hammer the price up because we can't get the imported steel back into the supply chain fast enough. Once the import steel get's back into the main stream, the price will drop at least and lower than current prices. It's everyone chance to make some money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since China is going through an industrial revolution..
    it's anybodies guess..what steel pricing will do..
    or if they will flood our country with product like the Japanese did during the 70's...

Did you know...
    China is buying 60% of the world's scrap??? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

Good thing I bought most of my steel over a year ago. dodged that expensive bullet! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. JK5

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I drink Pepsi, you never have issues like this with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I may have to consider a CHANGE.. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Then it was good that I got that 120' of 1.75x.120 for 63 cents a foot over Christmas? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Then it was good that I got that 120' of 1.75x.120 for 63 cents a foot over Christmas? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome score...even if it hrew!

11. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i say stick with north amarican companys guy there is a reason there steel is cheaper: I work at the largest electroplating plant in the world ( in canada /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)we chrome alot of parts for every company, are main compation is china. we were shown a pic of one of there workers. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif it was shocking. This chines man was polishing a 20" wheel holding it aganst his bare chest pushing it aganst the buffer, he had NO ppe just a cloth around his face while alumanum dust is all over his body and in his lungs, he was also whereing SANDLES!!!!! and had NO SAFETY glasses. For all his 12 hours of effort he was awarded.....$0.50 thats right no [darn] 50 cents. they have no worker saftey to bring you chreaper stuff, don't suport this.

12. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

Our supplier told it was going $2.00 in feb. march. april. june. He said that the increase was because US steel makers
    are shipping 75% of US steel to China. We ordered enough hopefully to get us through the summer....

ALL HAIL THE ALMIGHTY SAWZALL

13. JK5

You guys that have a good stock...are lucky... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

I can get what I need from the scrap bins at work (free /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif