Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hey fumes, whats up with the BG?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by jekbrown, Mar 21, 2007.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

not sure why I don't just PM... but in any case, my wife and I are house shopping. Right now I live in the Mt Vista area... not far from Battle Ground... and I am considering it (among other 'burbs) as a new place to live. So whats the deal? good place to move to or not? As a resident I'd like to hear your take on the place. There are a bajillion smallish (ie 1500 sq ft) houses in our price range up yonder... and unlike some parts of Vancouver, most of the houses that size weren't built in 1965! :grin: Our commute would be slightly longer... but it might be worth it... I'd rather move farther out than closer in to da hood. lol!

btw, we ain't having kids... so we don't have to worry about teachers abusing them at school. :grin: :thumb:

j

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Well since I actually live in Bolivia I wouldn't know....:whistle:

The BG sucks as far as people go, there is alot of them, I wouldn't move anywhere near close to town too crowded...

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

It's all about living in the sticks.. :p: :haha:

4. jekbrown

Isn't Bolivia in south america, like, west of Brazil? :grin:

BGs population has gone kinda crazy lately. Not like its NYC or anything, but the population was grown way past the infrastructure (roads) they have there. Could be bad times for the commute...

j

5. 1976Blazer76

1976Blazer76 1/2 ton status

I've been looking in the Battle Ground area too. I live right by the Clark County fairgrounds bout a mile away, I'm sure you know where that is. Yeah, the houses over there are cheaper but it is kinda far away from everything. I've started to look in Woodland, it's a bit cheaper because you finally get out of Clark County.

6. jekbrown

We thought about running across the boarder into Cowlitz, but we just don't want to deal with the extra commute time (I already leave my house 1.5 hours before my start time at work!) or the extra gas $$$$.

You can stay in CC and still get somewhat lower taxes though. I've been looking at houses in the 1500-sqft-ish size... and the parts of north vancouver we are looking at (felida, hazel dell, salmon creek blah blah blah) tend to have 80-100% higher annual property taxes than battle ground does. Are they calculated based on the school district you are in or what? The houses are all in the same price range, so the appraised value isn't the problem... I dunno. I get MLS listings forwarded to me from my agent and it shows what the owner paid last year for taxes. Pretty interesting,

tomorow we are going to look at a place just off 99th street (about 2 mins from Shane74s pad!)... its good size, has plenty of room for all my rigs (and a shop in the future!), is fully fenced for the dogs, and the asking price is $215k. Not bad. Most places with similar features are in the $230-240 range 'round these parts. :shocked:

As far as the fair grounds... you must be a mile north of them if you are in ridgefield... right? I always think of it as being further north than that, dunno why. I live right next door (literally!) to WSU Vancouver... prolly a 5 min drive from you.

j

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You own a couple of white burbs, off 179th?

8. 1976Blazer76

Yeah, I'm just north of the fairgrounds off of 194th ST....We live on 5 acres. One stree over from Shorty's nursery if you know where that is, pretty nice place too I'd say except for that freeway.

9. 1976Blazer76

Nope, I live off of 194th on the West side of the highway.