Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey grill cutters...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sapper, Feb 23, 2005.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Got a question, i want to mount my winch as far back as possible, the bumper i made goes all the way back to the rad. i took a peak today to see about cutting it and saw that there was a vertical support going to the top of the rad, can this be cut or would something have to be put in?? TIA

[​IMG]

Here is a pic, Im talking about under the bow tie.

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Both 72THING and I took that approach to mounting our winches. He cut his hood latch support intending to reinforce it later. It's now 2 years later and he hasn't felt the need. The blue truck is mine (as it looked a couple years ago). My front bumper is shaped sort of like a 2x4 flat against the framerails. I cut a piece of 1/2" steel plate to fit on top of the framerails just behind the bumper. The winch sits all the way against the back of the bumper and I just bent the hood support out of the way. In hindsight, I should have just cut it.

Thing Feb 05 (1).JPG

April 03 (10).JPG

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you could trim that without issue I'd say. That was my plan when I was building the K5. Glad to see someone planning to move the winch back. I hate to see winch bumpers sticking 10 foot off the front of a rig. As for eliminating that piece, I wouldn't. Trim it back but I wouldn't lose it entirely.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I built my bumper so the winch would mount under the core support. My approach angle is as good or better than with a stock bumper...

I also like the fact the winch is pulling from directly between the frame rails.
    Rene

5. FWP

FWP CRS

You could cut it out and replace it with something beefier, but closer to the rad. That piece not only is used to mount the grille to, but it supports the center of the core support.

I hear ya Sled dog, my winch sticks out Way too far. I have to approach waterfalls at a 45, and turn into it to clear the damn thing.

6. short sub

short sub Registered Member

hi- my winch is literally up against the radiator in my burban. i capped the frame and mounted my winch behind the frame cap, in other words my warn 9000 is almost entirely hidden behind the grille. I had to cut out the brace that runs straight up and down then cut out the support that runs along the bottom side of the grille. then i just neatly trimmed the grille to form around my winch and it worked out great. no wierd shakes or rattles and the approach angle is awesome so id go for it man. by the way i like your rig man lata ryan

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005