Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey guitar people.......

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

The wife wants to learn how to play guitar, and wants me to get her a guitar for christmas. Of course she doesn't want to go the way of Eddie Van Halen and receive a Fender Stratocaster and use the Black and Decker, she wants acoustic. I don't have a clue. She saw this infomercial, I've seen it too. The host is some "burned out on drugs Johnny Cash reject" I guess with the learning materials and the guitar for like a Franklin. That's doable. Of course we ain't moving to Nashville, I'm in the same boat as Chris LeDoux in regards to that place, so y'all that wail on the ax, is this a good deal???
    The site is down, but I don't want to spend a sampan full of $$$ on this.
    Gift of Guitar
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

well i learned on an acoustic guitar that had nylon strings .To me that seamed much easier,but steel strings sound much better in my opinion.I think you might go nylon and if she sticks with it go steel.The best place to get a good learners guitar is used guitar shops or pawn shops.Just make you if you get it used it has a clean sound (no buzzing or humming) and the neck is straight and things like that.I also recomend investing into a tuner they cost you about 30 bills.

3. Suffergauge

Suffergauge 1/2 ton status

Ok Bubba,
    DO NOT buy a guitar off that silly infomercial, I would bet my left ___ that it is a POS. If you don't know the first thing about guitars, DO NOT buy one from a pawn shop, you WILL get ripped off. The best thing to do is to go down to the local music store and tell them what you need. Do not let them know that you are not informed, I hope you can act... they are sales people. Look for something in the $200 range. It will be a "cheap" guitar but not an overpriced chunk of firewood.
    Take my advice as you will but I have been playing for around 17 years, the past 6 professionally, so I think that it should carry some weight. Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Don't get that! Go to a shop and buy one. Buy her a set of nylon and steel strings. Steel are harder to play but sound better. But she can learn on the nylon and then switch over. I have a black Hondo. I like it alot. I took lessons for 2 years and quit but plan to go back someday.... see if she might wanna plug into an amp. Cheaper to have a guitar come that way that have it made that way later on.

[​IMG]

5. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'd say that it would prolly be helpful to let her pick the guitar...since she is the one wantin' to learn, it would be way easier if she had something that "fit" her...taught my daughter on a Yamaha 345S I picked up for $150 at a pawn shop...she'll be more apt to stick with it if it feels good to her (yeah, yeah, sorta like sex)...I say "Gift Certificate", and offer to make the shopping trip With her...ya score points for "taking an interest" in something she's interested in....Ya might even get lucky...(yeah, yeah, sorta like sex).... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

You damn pervert! lol /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I think that Classical Guitars (Nylon String) sound really really good. I have a 500 dollar Classical Guitar and a 250 dollar Ibanez Electrcal. I learned on a 80 dollar POS 3/4 size nylon string guitar, and have owned a steel string one too. I liked the idea of the gift certificate, therefore, you can go with her to see if she like steel or nylon etc. BTW first timers, its easier with nylon, cause steel strings will kind of hurt (kind of like sex /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif)
    and both with give you a callys on your fingers, but not as bad with the nylon strings. Generally a 100-250 dollar guitar will be more than adequet for a beginer, buy a tuner, definately... maybe a video or a book, for her to learn.