Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"Hey guys Gibson or Flowmaster"

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka73, Mar 4, 2000.

1. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

\"Hey guys Gibson or Flowmaster\"

Hey guys I went to 4 Wheel Parts today to look for my new muffler and I asked for flowmasters but since I know the guys in there one of them told me if I wanted just the sound or performance and sound, I said of-course performance and sound so he recommended the Gibson, any of you guys running Gibson mufflers can you tell me how they sound and how they perform, are they better than Flowmasters, this guy recommended the 2 1/2" pipe for good sound and performance, so what do you guys think???

keep blazin !!!

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Re: \"Hey guys Gibson or Flowmaster\"

I think that 4WPW guy is talking out of his ass. I'm sure the Gibson's are more expensive too. I know a ton of engine guru's who swear by Flowmasters. Never heard any problems with them or lack of performance from them.

3. Grey Thunder

Grey Thunder Registered Member

Home: Ojai, Ca......School:Santa Cruz, Ca

a buddy of mine stated with gibsons but then he realized that he was an idiot and he went out and got some flowmaster...sounds better and the performance in creased too
    grey thunder

4. dfd210

dfd210 Newbie

Would go with the three chamber flowmasters. 2 1/4" pipes up to flowtech headers on my K%, work great, good sound, not too loud

5. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

I went with FLO~PRO and a 3' single pipe from the leads back , with a Catco flow thru catalytic converter, sounds sweet and not like a old flathead with glass packs..besides its all legal..WK

6. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

On my 1988 K1500 I went with a cat back Gibson with dual tailpipes. Sounds great but can't brag about any performance gains. Other additions include K&N air ftr, Taylor wires, Jacobs distr. Seems the general consensus on this board is Flowmaster. I'm going with Walker exhaust on my K5 and spend the savings on Rhino lining.

7. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

It's been a week since I had my exhaust mod done. Keep in mind I've got the factory cat on my 88.

Just a 12" glasspack. 3" inlet and 3" outlet. Then about a 90degree bend with about 18" of 3" pipe and it exits before the drivers side rear wheel. $70 all welded up.

Sounds great, but not too loud. And I can definately feel a performance gain since striping the factory exhaust and tail pipes. I can stomp on it and I'm still quieter than most other rigs I've heard. Factory cat keeps most of the noise down anyway.

Your mileage may vary (mine seems to have improved!..)

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado (a.k.a. ThunderDog)