Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey Guys, I an looking for info from boat owners - 350 GM engine

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1986Blazer, Jan 12, 2002.

1. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

This is off topic - kinda - but I am about to buy a boat and it has a 350 ci Chevy engine - I am looking for input from other ocean ready boat owners. The link is here......I am short on time and want to buy it on Mon or Tues...thanks for any help.

Thread Link: http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/Boat.html

Regardless of what shape the boat is in, it looks great behind my K5
    I just need to paint the trim on the boat black!!!!!!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html&gt;http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html&gt;http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html</a>
    So I says to him, I said, "get your own monkey."
    1986 K5, 350 GM Crate, 700R4, NP208

2. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

Re: Hey Guys, I an looking for info from boat owhers - 350 GM engine

only bad I ever heard was some don't have heat shields for the starter on some older boats..=starter heat soak.

Neil H. Alabama.. "It's a full size thang, Jeep owners don't understand!!" '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne., '74 C10 4x2

3. 1986Blazer

Thanks.....

When I was looking at the engine, I saw that the starter could be affected by the exhaust. I will start to work on a heat shield, like I have on my K5 to shield the starter from the headers.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html</a>

4. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Hey Chris, i have a bit of marine experience..... worked for a marina for a bit, and have been around them all my life. The engine of course is a good choice, you shouldnt have to worry about heat soak on starter, due to the fact that the exhaust is cooled with the water running thru them, that keeps the temps down,..... the Velvet drive tranny is an excellent drive. They require their regular maintenace, but if it shifts smoothly and is quiet it should be in good shape. They are spendy to repair though. Im not familiar with that builder of the boat, but it does have some nice designs, so if that means anything im sure it will be fine for some sport fishing or whatever. Good luck with it. It will devour more of your $ than your Blazer ever will !!!!

1990 K5 4" lift, 33's, 3.73's Raptor Tranny and Velvet Rides....

5. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

being an avid saltwater fisherman, i am familiar with the penn yan boats. they are suppose to have a good heavy built hull to handle heavy seas. as for the engine, any way to find how amny hours on it, and what year is the engine?
    the block is the same as the blaser, it just has different add ons, and usually a diferent cam. biggest dif with the add ons is spark arrestor
    carbs starters and alt have to have spark arrestors

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Neat looking boat.................It will be a money pit though. The hull is going to cost a boatload of cash to get refinished. Are the floors fiberglass or plywood, if plywood bounce on them and see if they are springy, if so that could be trouble with a capital $$$$. Look in the bilge area for water marks and see how high the water has been in there. Make sure the components on the engine are marine, not been replaced with automotive (starter, alternator, spark arrestor,) Go underneath and grab the prop shaft and give it a couple of tugs to check the bushing that goes into the hull for snugness and make sure the shaft is not pitted, (they run about a grand) check the prop for blisters and cracks closely (about $800.00) look at the steering cables and make sure there is not a bunch of white powdery looking crap on them (corrosion) Take a good look at the power inverter.

Not trrying to discourage you but trying to open your eyes a bit more. The price isn't bad if you don't have to sink (pardon the word sink) a bunch into it. If you get it , enjoy it.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

7. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

OT - Bumper

Chris,
    That's one sweet front bumper you have on there! Read the profile, and surprised to see mfr name.. It sure looks a lot like the RanchHand I have on my 91 Burb...

8. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Re: OT - Bumper

Ok bud, I"m sure you've looked this thing over a hundred times but here's a list of repeats and some stuff to MAKE SURE YOU CHECK OUT, Hull you said fiberglass work, check carefully for blisters, these can be deep and expensive to fix properly, prop shaft for pits wear and corrosion, shaft seal, I forget the name of it but it's a wax rope stuff and what looks like a radiator hose if this leaks you got major problems, learn how to fix that ASAP if you get the boat cause you can't bail water that fast if that fails, I've seen it, Also like said check on hours on that engine, has it been offshore a lot?, if so if you have to do any work on the engine then check the exhaust blocks/manifolds or whatever you want to call them, they will corrode/errode/rust REAL bad, and clog up, check the zinc plates on the boat make sure they are there, if the engine has been rebuilt find out when and where, if recent and having temp problems they may have used automotive gaskets on it, which depending on years don't work, the one and biggest thing is make sure you test drive it, don't buy it without spending a good amount of time in the water with the boat, especially since it's used. Run it at all speeds and watch the temp and tach close, those two gauges are all you have to rely on for engine knowledge at the helm, other than visual and odor if it's real bad. If you get it try to get to know some people who work at a marina if you can, yes they can be expensive to do work for you, especially if your a college student but work like fiberglass and bottom jobs are something not to skimp on. There is a lot of work that goes into bottom paint on a boat, it's more than just washing it off and painting over the old, Everything I ever saw was taken off with a special planner then dryed for a week or so and tested on a daily basis w/ a moisture meter.
    That's about all I can think of at the moment, keep us posted.

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your import from under my chevy?

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I would not buy that boat unless you test drive it. I'm not talking about a short trip around the bay either.
    It looks like it has spent a long time sitting in the water.
    That doesn't look like the right trailer for it. Make sure it will tow.
    Who Appraised that boat?????????? The owner?????
    Did the owner show you the Appraisal papers????
    I cant believe that boat is worth 10,000 dollars. if it was in tip top shape yes but 3,500 seems more like it.
    The view of the transom where the fiberglass is delaminating is of great concern. It does not look cosmetic to me. If the transom is rotted it will cost a great deal to repair.
    Its hard to tell from the pitcures but the deck also looks like it has some rotted areas around the engine hatch .Make sure the deck is sound.

On the up side Penn-Yan are good boats. The tunnel hull is good because the prop and rudder are protected in shallow water. They are also very manuverable at low speeds. making docking easy.
    heres a link to a Penn-Yan BB: Blazer pics

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins

10. 1986Blazer

THANKS everyone for the input. OK, the appraisal came from an independant company and was done 1 yr ago. The transom is not rotting, alot of what you see is just sun damage, scum and chipping gel coat. The small part that appears to be falling off is a transducer that needs to be fixed. The trailer is not the correct one, they just have it resting on it for now. Most what appears to be rot around the engine bay is months worth of dirt, leaves and other goodies that have collected there. I was only able to find one area that needs cosmetic repair and it was near the cockpit.

BTW,.....the asking price is $3,500

Any other advice???

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html</a>

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Well like I said its kind of hard to tell from pics.
    You can usually trust appraisals when they are done by a reputable firm. They go through a boat pretty throughly.

If the boat is just a little dirty and everything is sound. It looks like you are getting a real good deal for 3500. The engine and V drive is worth that. I have to say, judging fron the clean engine compartment and it seems all the hardwhare, railings, ect, are intact it looks like the boat was cared for.
    Penn-Yans are a good boat they are made well and are pretty sturdy. They have a reputation of being able to handle rough water pretty good. Some boaters dont like the Tunnel Drive. But most people who acually own the Tunnel Drive like them. The only real negative thing I have heard about them is that they are a little slower than a IO or a standard V drive. but with the Tunnel drive you dont have all the hardware hanging down to get hung up if you get it in shallow water.
    It should make a great off-shore fisher/cruiser.
    I hope it all works out good for you.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins

12. Innerpiece

Innerpiece 1/2 ton status

I've got a 20' chapparal with a 350 and love the motor ... If it's raw water cooled -- pull one of the big hoses going into engine mounted water pump and see how much crud is in there ... some is ok (a lot more than a car) but if its clogged with flak rust you may be looking at a new exhaust system($$) If it's got a heat exchanger -- look in the raw water side of the exchanger and see what you get -- again lots of crud is bad but not quite as expensive.

On another note -- If you're gonna be doing blue water fishing I recommend a boat with 2 motors -- Think about it -- you've never seen a charter boat w/ less than 2 motors. There's nothing quite a disconcerting as being stuck 12 miles offshore in the gulf with a northerly wind and a motor that won't run (I know) ... luckily I had the materials to macguyver my way home

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Make sure that the engine is the original one. Marine engines are built with very stout components, as the demands placed on them are much different than for an automotive application. The typical auto engine rarely sees 4,500 RPM for more than a few seconds at a time. On the other hand, a boat engine can get run for hours on end at full throtlle, under a high load. Plus it has to be able to deal with high revs any time the prop leaves the water and then the shock loading as the prop bites back into the water.

GM's marine engines use blocks that have a higher nickel content, making them strong enough to live with the continuous pounding. I'd suspect that the internal parts are also built somewhat beefier as well. Dropping in a 350 from a junkyard car or truck would proivde you with an engine that's not nearly as well built as the marine version.

Just something to consider as I'm sure you'll often be a very long way from the nearest dock. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

14. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Go to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.boatingstuff.com/>this link</a> and go to the engine/parts section. Make a post attn George Van Parys, he is a boating Mechanic's god. There is also a section for surveying and they can tell you particulars to look for on certain types of boats.

Lots fo good info at that site.

Rob

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

15. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

that is pretty cool info harry. where did you get that
    sounds to me that if you wanted to make a really stout k5 motor you could order a marine
    long block??? i think they also use a cam designed for much more low end torque, and i know they come as crate motors with warranty. my buddy just put one in a bertram
    chris

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

16. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Read it in a hot rod magazine somewhere along the way. [​IMG] The marine blocks used to be the hot ticket for the speed racer types. Now that you can buy kick-a$$ crate engines right from the factories, it seems like way fewer people are bothering to scrounge up bit and pieces to build their own hi-performance engines.

Boat engines take WAY more abuse than any automotive engine, at least in stock applictions. They live a lot of their life at wide open throttle. Automotive engines spend most of their life loafing down the freeway or idling around town. [​IMG] Check out the prices on boat engines some time. It'll make you think that a RamJet 502 for your K5 is a real bargain! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

17. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

yup

1986 GMC Jimmy 6" springs 3" body, 38/15.5/15 Swampers, 14-bolt FF rear, Dana 60 front, 1991 front-end.