Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey guys, I got a new ride...and have a small question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by morphed86k10, Apr 8, 2002.

1. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Jun 25, 2001
    Well, I went ahead and bought a new 'wheeler. Got a cherry '84 K30. Yep, I am as one ton as it gets now! It has a 4' lift, 35 inch BFG's, 4.10's, a detroit out back, a 454 and TH400 with 30K on them. He used it only to tow a car trailer (not much of a wheeler), and his sons convinced him to put the detroit in the back a few months ago. The front was lifted with soft springs which began to sag under the big block, so the previous owner installed TWO add a leafs in each spring pack, and a half inch block /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif. Well, it rides terribly, even with new skyjacker shocks. Luckily, the suspension doesn't move or the brake lines would have been maxed out I think. So I called up ORD this morning and ordered some Tuff Country 4 inch HD springs, stainless brakelines, and swaybar bushings. Shackle flip is in the future for the rear, but the cash flow is a little low right now /forums/images/icons/frown.gif. I'm working on getting some pics taken.
    Anyway, so I'm not off topic /forums/images/icons/smile.gif, would I really benefit from the heavy duty shackles with only 4 inch springs? It doesn't seem that the 4 inch springs are arched enough to come in contact with the frame.
  2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Dec 14, 2001
    First off, if there is a block in the front you better be damn sure that it has a centering bolt going through the block so as to have it attached to the spring pack like the ORD zero rates or take it out immediately. As for the HD shackles, I would recommend using them even with a 4" lift.