Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hey guys i need a little bit of help with steering column

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by 89chevy, May 1, 2002.

1. 89chevy

89chevy Registered Member

hey, i came to you guys just because you guys are around me... i am in walnut creek and my steering column broke ( not snapped, but really woble) and it happened on my friends 89 burb. same year as my k-5. but he had someone fix it for like $500. should i get a new one from a junk yard, weld this one straight, or is there something minor i can do like a screw broke or something. If you guys can help i would be very thankful. Oh yeah and i like the club, i know i am new but it looks great so far. Keep up the great work guys.
    ~Zack

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

When you say wobble is it just woblling in the collum or the whole collum..

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Is the frame cracked around the steering box????

4. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the Notorious GM tilt steering problem. If its just wobbling from where the tilt steering is joined then it can be fixed by putting loc-tite on some bolts in the linkage. Sounds easy but its not. Someone did a whole write up on the process, try doing a search on "loose tilt steering". Mine wobbles too, I tried to fix it but gave up half way through the tear down.

5. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

you can get almost there with just a steering wheel remover, but then it gets kinda tricky. the screws that are loose are a bitch to get to with-out prior knowledge of the process.
    i tried for awhile on mine, then called a friend who owns a towing / body repair shop.
    but that is definitely what the wobble is.

6. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

When i bought my jimmy the steering wheel wobbled really bad... so bad that when i turned the wheel it would shift the gears on the column shifter. It was impossible to drive. Anyway I called around and found out that the problem I had with mine was not fixable. I ended up going through www.empiresteering.com you can email him questions. He is totally cool. I paid 300.00 including shipping. no core. he sent me a complete steering column with new keys etc. It looked like a brand new column. He specializes in steering column rebuilds and theft recovery. He is located in southern california. I believe he even does mobile down there. Anyway he shipped it COD. So I just left a check for UPS. He has a tech board on his site you can ask questions and he'll get right back to you. Or you can call him. If you just need parts I just got a new catalogue from a supplier who supplies to all the salvage yards. They have about 4 pages of blazer parts including theft recovery and steering column stuff. I haven't had a chance to look through it thoroughly or get pricing yet. They even carry things like flywheels etc. I have heard that they have the best prices in the business so I will let all you guys know what kind of deals i can get.

7. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i dont know if you would be willing to drive to stockton to get it fixed but there is a guy infront of pick and pull that dose it for 100...i took my truck to him and a few company trucks..i dont have a phone number or name but i know he is there on saturday

8. 89chevy

You guys are great, thanks for the quick help... i will be posting alot here, i hope i start getting noticed soon. kinda sucks being unknown... by the way i am Zack

9. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Welcome home...LOL...mike

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey Zack, you seem to have the notorious GM steering wobble. I just happen to have the proper tools to fix the steering column and $50.00 should take care of business. Give me a call tomorrow and we can talk about your truck and your steering column problem. We can arrange a time and place to fix it.

11. 89chevy

sounds good. thanks alot scott
    ~Zack