Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey Guys, New Member Here Looking For Help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rtaub15, Jun 14, 2004.

1. rtaub15

rtaub15 Registered Member

Hey guys, my names rob, i am trying to restore my 85 pick up and just have a few quick questions.. I am trying to change the ignition cylinder on the column...how do i get that out so i can put the new one in? Also where is the ignition switch? I cant find it anywhere, and the last one for now.. is 238 dollars a normal price for a radiator mount and shipping? Thank you very much for your help

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

To get the cylinder out you will need to remove the steering wheel and turn signal assy. Remove the retaining screw and pull the cylinder out.
    The ignition switch is mounted to the top of the steering column under the dash.
    The raidiator mount? Do you mean the core support?

3. rtaub15

Yes im sorry, the piece that you mount the grill too, heres, i took off the steering wheel, and got down to a green piece which i believe was the horn contact, but it didnt seem to wanna budge, is there something im missing? Is there any easy way to get to the ignition switch? Or just by going from it underneath? Thank you very much...

4. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You can prob get a used support from someone on here alot cheaper. Post in the wanted section.

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Welcome to CK5 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Sorry I cant help you but if you run out or responses in this forum, you may want to post the question in the Garage and see what you find.

Lots of great people on this site. Thanks for joining!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. rtaub15

Thank you very much for your help, if i dont get any responses in here ill def. do that, thanks!

7. rtaub15

Ok so i found a Radiator support on another truck, got all the bolts off but the two body bolts, they are being a pia to get off, any ideas on the easiest way to get them off? Anything could help me right now, the truck is leaving in two days and i need to have it off by then.

8. k51989

k51989 Registered Member

hacksaw or sawzall /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif. you could always torch it off /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif. just make sure there is nothing flammable nearby(ask me how i know and ill have to tell you how i burnt my parents garage down /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif) /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well depends on the engine and cooling packages. A 3/4 and 1 ton 454 truck with Auto tranny then yes that sounds about right on the price.

On the lock. Hit Auto Zone and you need the Lock Plate tool. It screws onto the steering shaft and compresses the lock plate so you can remove the retaining ring and get down to the lock cylinder.

The actual switch is on the top of the colum near the brake peddle pivot. It's a whit block with a plug with some thick wires and a rod that connects it back up to the lock up top.

Fill out your bio and if you can provide a little more information about the vehicle when your askign questions. You left us guessing with "85 Truck" need to know what engine and options just like the parts store to give you the best answer we can. Not knowing the engine and transmission cant get a good estimate on the radiator. A I 6 with manual tanny is not nearly as expensive as a 454 of Diesel with TH400 and HD cooling package that gets a oil cooler a 4 core and the tranny cooler.

Welcom eto CK5 and thanks for joining and helping suport the site. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. rtaub15

Im sorry i am trying to figure out all of the different options, is there a way to set it up so you recieve emails when a post was replied too? Its actually a 1989 Full Size Blazer Core Support with a 350 5.7 liter. 238 total with shipping. Oh and how do i get a hacksaw up into where the bolts are? I tried using a extension and it would even work with the socket on the end. How do i make a profile? Id love too. Again i apologize for the confusion.

11. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Hey Grim, I think the OP means the radiator *support* (crossmember/metal) and not the radiator proper. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-- A

12. rtaub15

It is the black bigger piece, that you bolt the headlights onto, cause i have everything else i need for the 89-91 conversion, but i cant get off the bottom body bolts, but its the black piece, with the wholes cut out, where the horns are attached, if that helped out at all. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

13. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

When you reply to a post, scroll down the page. There is a box that says
    "Add this thread to my favorites."
    Click that box, and you will get email notification if somebody responds to that post.

AND
    Welcome to the site! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

What is givin ya fits about the core support bolts?
    Is the bumper off?
    If not get it out of the way and it is much easier to access the bolts.
    I belive they are 7/16" bolts.
    Hose em down with some penetrating spray, PB Blaster works good.
    Use a 6 point socket for both nut and bolt.
    Use a 1/2" breaker bar to crack the nut, if it don't want to move get a peice of pipe and put some azz into it.
    Either it will break free or snap, keep in mind where your hands are gonna go when it happens.
    If the nut or bolt is stipped out, or the tool breaks then it's time for a torch.
    BTW welcome to the show.

15. rtaub15

yea actually tomorrow, me and my brother are gonna try to hit it with a air ratchet. If that doesnt work i was thinking about just hitting it with a air chisel... That would work wouldnt it? I got another question, When i put on the power steering belt, and try to turn the wheel, the wheels sorta lock up and the belt starts to squeak. Is that a bad box? Thank you for the help.

16. rtaub15

UPDATE... Got That Radiator Support Off, All I Needed Was BFH and a Breaker Bar. Thanks Again Guys for all of your help. Once my frame reinforcement gets welded on i should be throwing it in, Cant Wait...