Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hey guys

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Masontw01, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Masontw01

Masontw01 Registered Member

haven't posted here in quite some time.....in fact since i was going to buy a 91 K5 but didn't.

anyway, i'm looking again and i've found a very nice 87 K5 silverado. body is in perfect shape. some of the chrome molding could use some adhesive. black and red 2 tone with red interior. power everything and the cruise control still works. i haven't driven it yet but i plan on it this weekend. not sure if it's got the 305 or the 350 in it, but i'll find out more this weekend. the used car dealer (ugh i know blah) wants $4500 for it. of course blue book doesn't matter much on these K5s because they have gone up a little in value for the nice ones, but is $4500 a fair price for this K5? i wouldn't think twice about giving $3500 for it, but $4500 seems a little high. if he would drop down to $4k i would very seriously consider the deal so long as he gave me a free tank of gas LOL. anyway, i know that the value is in the eye of the beholder, but i figured i'd ask. the truck's in great shape.

thanks in advance for any feedback.

pictures coming hopefully tomorrow.

edit: i've posted plenty of times on here but my post count is just 1? haha what's goin on

2. Masontw01

:( anyone?

3. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

That's just not enough info to judge the value of a rig. Another consideration is how YOU will be using the truck.

If you are talking about a trail rig, then I'd say there are better deals in the classified section right here. But a better deal to me, means some of the mods/work already done that I envision in the final build of my truck.

If you are talking about a clean daily driver, then your wish list is different and so are your values.

4. Masontw01

thanks for the input. it would be a daily driver and the most i would ever do to it is throw some 33s under it and put side pipes on it. i'd think about 6 inches and 35s, but that would be later on down the road.

5. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

As an example, I think this is a good deal ;
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188910
    and it's definitely streetable, and I think it looks sharp.

On the otherhand, this is probably the one of the best built trucks I've ever seen and an incredible deal. Of course a much less streetable, more purpose built rig.

My point is while both are good deals, comparably the second is FAR BETTER IF, you are looking for a trail rig.

Ultimately you already answered your own question, seeing as YOUR opinion is the most important, "i wouldn't think twice about giving $3500 for it, but $4500 seems a little high".

Good luck!

6. Masontw01

hehe you're right. well what i'm looking for isn't an incredible value trail rig, it's a decent value preferably bone stock blazer. i'll be driving it every day and the most offroading it'll probably see is down at my hunt club getting to the tree stand. so while some would see that 82 as an awesome deal (which HOLY HELL why would he let that go for less than $5K?) i see the stock blazer for the same price as more of a deal to me because of the practicality of the truck.

also, this will probably be easier to assess once i get some pics up.

7. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

8. Masontw01

haha yeah i actually saw that one already. BEAUTIFUL truck. way too pricy though. plus i don't want a diesel :x

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Yeah, pics would definitely make it easier for us to make a proper evaluation.

FWIW, I support your line of thinking that there is value in buying an unmolested and unmodded truck. If the body is in decent shape and it appears that the truck has been well taken care of and properly maintained, I don't think $4500 is unreasonable. Of course, if that's their asking price, I would start the bargaining at $3500 and see if they meet you halfway.

How many miles are on the truck?

10. Masontw01

supposedly there are 170,000 miles on the truck. it was rainging all weekend so i still haven't had a chance to go look at the truck or drive it yet. i'll keep everyone who cares posted though.

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

for $4500 in a 20 year old truck, no matter how clean, i would expect no more than 100K, unless it was showroom condition and loaded to the max .

12. Masontw01

thanks for the input, K20. now here's another question:

if i don't have the entire balance in cash, how could i go about getting the price lower? apparently i'm terrible at haggling. BTW i never asked in person how much the truck was, i made an anonymous phone call first.

when i say i don't have $4500 cash, i mean i'll probably be buying the truck on credit. i'm a college student which = POOR.

13. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Just low ball. Don't be shy. This isn't the only truck like it out there, the guy has what is basically a dime a dozen. And even if it is rather rare in your market, act like it isn't! Unless you are an enthusiast or selling something exceptional, the chances are you just want what you have gone with as little trouble as possible.

Another angle is to knowledgeably reduce the price. That is, using your or a friend's knowledge find a list of things required to bring the rig on the road, pass a safety, or emission test. U joints, tires, ball joints, brakes, fluids...this list is long when your talking an average 20/30 year old vehicle. Chances are the owner doesn't realize all the work that is needed either. Oh yeah, I know the truck looks clean but really, Really check out the underbody, if you can pull up some carpet!

For what it's worth I was much the same as you two years ago. I poured over classified ads, and test drove dozens of rigs before I found mine. By the time I did, I knew what the market for our rigs was better than 90% of the sellers, and often offered THEM advice! By that point my confidence had soared and I could confidently, and intelligently barter.

I'm wondering if you might do well, especially on a tight budget to do a bit more research before dropping coin? Remember this isn't the only clean rig out there.

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

good luck with that. very few institutions will loan on a vehicle with that kind of milage, much less one that old. its got 2 strikes against it... the fact that you're a broke college student probably also means that you dont have much credit history too, correct? you may be better off finding a cheaper rig that needs a little TLC, and fixing/modifying it to your likings.

15. Masontw01

yeah i figured that much. i'll probably just buy a piece of crap to drive while i save up enough cash for a truck. you know, just an A to B'er. it shouldn't take me too long ot save up $3500. maybe 8 or 9 months if i save big time.