Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey, I need some help, FAST!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by noclue, Nov 30, 2002.

1. noclue

noclue Registered Member

Ok, I've read all of the forums on driveline angles, and I know what I need... I have a 83 deisel K-5 and I just got a absolute steal on a brand new complete superlift 8" lift with shocks and brake line extentions for 400 bucks! Now, I have my truck torn apart, and I need to know the cheapest way to do my rear driveline... How much can I lower my t-case? and how does that affect how it hooks up to the transmission? does the whole thing just pivot? But I need a driveline fix as cheap as I can get it... Is it worth it to just get a cv joint from a front driveline and have a machine shop customize my driveline????

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Cheapest route would be to have a driveline shop lengthen your driveshafts. Having a short wheel base makes getting a rear CV shaft worth while since you're running a hard angle for freeway driving. Lowering the t-case will make the front driveshaft angle even worse with that much lift - a high angle CV may be your only choice up front at that point.

3. noclue

noclue Registered Member

But the angle of the t-case in a K-5 is exactly the same as any other full size chevy of that vintage, suburban, K-20, and so on... that dosn't affect the front driveline.. my dad has a 1-ton with a 12 inch lift and a suburban with a 8" lift... no bad vibes or angles... the only thing that is differant about a K-5 is the rear short wheel base

4. noclue

noclue Registered Member

excuse me, the front driveline of the t-case is the same...

5. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

you need to inter into Jess' driveline givaway /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

The rear is the reason for a CV shaft because of the shorter wheel base. The front will suffer too due to lift, equal to other models / years (depending on the tranny/ t-case combo), but you dont use it as much. How often do you drive down the freeway in 4WD pushing the front shaft as hard as the rear. You'll find that many of the GM 4wd came with CV front shafts for that reason.

7. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

8. noclue

noclue Registered Member

Well as far as I know, a K-5 and a full size truck or suburban have the same front end, meaning that they have the same length front drivelines. My father has a suburban with a 8" lift and a 1-ton with a 12 inch lift, and there are no vibes from his front driveline.
    As for the rear, does it have to be lengthend? And if so, how much?

9. noclue

noclue Registered Member

Oh ok... I thought they all had cv's in the front... Sorry about that 2nd post, it didn't show my first one going through.... But yeah, I have a cv on my front driveline w/ my 208... so how much does my rear need to be leangthend?

10. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

You'll have to measure from the t-case to the pinion yolk, center to center on the u-joint caps to know how much to lengthen it after the lift. There are just too many variables to guess.

11. noclue

noclue Registered Member

Ahh, that makes sense... Now, would it be cheaper to buy one, or to have mine modified if I provide the cv joint...

12. noclue

noclue Registered Member

and also, since I have a front driveline cv joint, can I drop my t-case a little, and if yes, how much

13. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

You'll find that the front CV can handle very little along the lines of increasing its angle. It can be clearanced to provide more of an angle but the center locating ball usually fails shortly after. You can provide your own CV for the rear, if you wish. Most driveline shops are flexible. I used a front CV on my rear shaft for a while until I was able to do it right and purchase a 1! ton 1350 CV from High Angle Driveline for my application. You may not need that much, it depend on your wheeling style and your overall setup. I've seen 12 inches of lift on a street queen do just fine with a modified rear straight shaft (usually lacks a front shaft though), and 2 1/2" lifted blazers with 1350 CV's. It really comes down to your overall build and usage.

14. noclue

noclue Registered Member

Well I'm not into the rock crawling thing, just some mudding... But I have an endless supply of chevy parts and u-joints, so I think I'll go with a modified rear driveline and see how that works... Thank you very much for the information, I'll post some pics of my rig when it's finished... I'm putting 3/4 ton 3.73 axles underneith it with 37" goodyear MT's... So thank you for the info....

15. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

No prob, glad I could help you narrow it down.