Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey I'm new

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SlicksInRain, Jan 15, 2007.

1. SlicksInRain

SlicksInRain 1/2 ton status

Hi everyone I do have a question, but I just wanna say a little about my truck first. I have a 1990 K5 with a Ram Jet 350 engine and it's one clean machine. I've had the truck since I was six years old and I've been driving it since I was eight. I used to drag race it when I thought I could make it a 13 second truck, but I know better now than to sup up something that's 5,000 pounds with me in it. One day driving home from the strip I had my slicks on during a rain storm and my street tires were at home... bad idea, hince the name SlicksInRain.

My question is this: I was thinking of jacking up my truck 6 inches and putting 38 inch tires and was wondering if there is any such tire that will be as quiet as a street tire. I'll admit this is more for the look than it is for off roading, being that I'm in Chicago. ;) Thanks for your info guys.

2. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome. Check out this_thread for fitment issues. As for tires you will need to look for an all-terrain type to be as quiet as possible. Interco makes some large at's and BFGoodrich has the best all around A/T in my opinion.

3. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Its going to be hard to get AS quite as a street tire. But there are a few radials out there that dont hum as loud as swampers and whatnot. Im sure someone will pop up with some good brands.

4. SlicksInRain

Thanks that thread with all those pics is very helpful. Also I know what it's like to be dragging a subject to death so sorry if I started one of those.

5. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Welcome to the jungle :D !

I like BFG's All Terrain. They're pretty civil.

6. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Mickey Thompson baja HP is the quietest tire I have ever ran. Had very good street manners too.

7. SlicksInRain

Sounds good I'll have to look into them. Thanks for all the info and those pics on the link really helped!

8. Citizen Rider

No worries, your thread isnt one asking "will it fit".

Superswamper makes the Trxus M/T, which is a great tire both on and off road. Looks good. I know a few here run them.

9. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

Hey welcome to Ck5! Its always nice to see another Illinois K-5 Enthusiast. As for a good street tire. The BFG A/T is pretty good on the street, but wont do you any good off-road around here. I currently have the Trxus M/T and I really like it.

My 89 used to be my DD and those tires were pretty quiet and so far I've been happy with their off-road performance.

After you lift ur truck we'll have to go to the Badlands and "test it out" :D

10. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Running Trxus MT's. Quiet, great all 'round performer, good in snow and ice which you will want. Good wear and aggressive looks.

Love Chicago, been there a few times great town, great food, great music.

11. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I just bought a set of Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs and I must say, they are actually equal if not better than my previous BFG A/Ts. And I'm talking about on road performance, but off road there is no question the MTZ is by far superior.

12. SlicksInRain

Thanks for the info and your right about the music. What would the world be like without Screeching Weasel? haha, I don't think anyone knows who they are. :wink1: But seriously thanks to everyone on info about the tires. I also have a Mercury Marauder and on their site some will go ape sh!t if you say what company makes a better supercharger... I was kinda expecting that with the tire companies, but I'm glad this is a place where we can all be civil. Also it's cool to know I'm not the only K5 in Illinois. :D

Well drive it like you rented it!

13. Citizen Rider

With insurance!!!

14. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Welcome! You'll find no better crowd then CK5.

We've got serious We got delirious. We've got humerous and post-humerous. We've got uptight, and some who will fight. We got nice guys and bad guys. We've got outlaws and in-laws (don't ask). Rough guys, and tough guys. Little trucks...BIG TRUCKS...some with no-trucks. We've got moderators and administrators. Lawyers and philosophers. Weebles that wobble, and drinkers who do fall down! We're off-color and in-color. We like bling-bling, and nutzing! We're from the East and from the West. Some live in the North, others in the South, but everyone here lives by word of mouth. Rocks, MUD, trails and even cow poop! Just look around and you'll see, that CK5 can easily become addicting! Been there, doing just that....

okay,

Tires.....try these....

[​IMG]

Good looks, tough stance, quiet street ride, great siping. Just what you're lookin' for.

Welcome again and have fun!

Manny

15. SlicksInRain

Thanks man, it's great to have options and a nice little greeting for the newbies. I'll look into those. I think I'll be around for a while.

16. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

that little speal about CK5 sounded like George Carlin.:bow: