Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey jekbrown- REAL winter clothes

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Can Can, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I got a laugh today when jekbrown started talking about how he's so tough that he barely has to put on extra clothes when it gets cold outside where he lives. I was ind of impressed until I remembered he lives in Vancouver, Washington- "GEEZ, I can see my breath!!!!! Is it ever cold!!!! I'm freezing!!!"..... :rotfl: :rotfl:

Just for fun I pulled out my winter work gear and laid everything out on the bed and took a pic. Jek- THIS is what you HAVE to wear when it is actually cold outside:

[​IMG]

The pic is a little dark, but the left side is waist down, and the right side is waist up. In the middle you'll see my "accessories"- socks, gloves and balaclava.

2. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

if I were Kim, I'd kick your sorry butt for putting those filthy coveralls on the bed. shame on you!

but it is a typical male thing to do :rotfl: :rotfl:

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

God I sure don't miss Alberta winters...

My 'winter wear' is a Jean jacket and maybe a sweat shirt. :wink1:

Rene

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Mine consists of Korean War Wool helmet liner, arctic face mask, longjohns, insul Carharts, Mickey Mouse boots,lightweight gloves cause I still have to hold nails and screws,etc. Damn, my fingers get cold every winter!!!

5. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

:haha: Thats some real winter work stuff there.

Takes 15 minutes to put it all on and then you gotta piss right after you step out the door. :doah:

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Ain't that the truth.

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

How do You move with all that on?

8. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

It's a good thing you have all that stuff .. if you ever spend a winter in south Texas, it will come in real handy... :haha:

If you want a heat stroke that is.

On the other hand, put on a lot of it, and fight a house fire here in 105 degree heat with humidity... you'll swear pink elephants are helping you pull hose. :D .. I knew I should have been a gyn doc. :rolleyes:

LOL .. your blood must turn into 80/90 w gear oil in winter. :p:

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You have more "winter" clothes on that bed than I have total. :D

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'm so offended. :eek1: :mad:

lol, actually its not all that different from what I wear... i just need it at a higher temperature than my friends up north. :) No matter what I wear underneath, I think a heavy full length chin to boot tops 100% wool coat is one of the best things you can wear. The one I have is sorta like this one... little different though...

[​IMG]

anyway, I'm not saying I'm an arctic weather guru... just that you don't need bling bling $uper $pendy cold weather gear from REI or (insert other outrageously expensive, targeted at yuppies outdoor store here) gear. A good combo of cheap military surplus and civy gear works just fine for me. Usually when I go outside in the "cold" (around here, anything 25 degrees or below would be considered "cold") I'm usually very warm if not hot... so I'm sure the gear I use would be good down to significantly lower temps. Maybe not Alberta's 275825682739623852387652987356273652873 degrees below zero... but as cold as it will ever get in my local so thats just fine. :)

I think a good pair of thick cold weather socks and fully insulated all leather (and tall) boots are one of the most important things you can have on. I use these....

[​IMG]

they are the ones with 600 gram Thinsulate insulation.. they also make 200 gram ones. Having worn mickey mouse boots before, I think these are some of the best cold weather boots you can get short of whatever $5000 boots the guys that climb Mt. Everest use. ;) The boots are the only part of my cold weather gear that is actually expensive (my cool coat was $19 new from cheaper than dirt)... and I got them when I was in the Marines and needed good boots. There are prolly cheaper alternatives... I just already have these so I use them.

I also tend to wear a fleece neck gaitor like this to help bridge the gap between the collar on my fleece/coat and my stocking cap. These really help keep the neck/face warm...

[​IMG]

for "long johns" i have a top/bottom set of poly, also from my time in the grunts...

[​IMG]

for pants I wear 100% wool swiss army pants. These match the coat (always good if you plan on pickin up some ladeeeeezzz while in a snow ball fight) and are very tough should I take a spill on the ice. lol!

Assuming I didn't have to spend 8 hours outside, I think my suit would work just fine down in the below zero temps... prolly wouldn't wanna try more than 20 below though. ;)

oh yeah, almost forgot to mention... i wear my nomex flight gloves but if I plan on actually making snowballs and touching lots of junk I'll usually just throw on my welding gloves (for the full on storm trooper look!) or some big mittens. The nomex gloves are thin... I just like wearing them because I can still use my fingers (like mechanix gloves) but they are long like guantlets so they help cover the gap between the hand and the long sleeves of your shirts.

j

ps: i may live in a moderate climate now, but I have felt cold weather before... went to Korea in January when I was in the grunts, that was frigid as hell. Standing on the deck of a ship off the coast was even worse. lol!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2005
  11. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Paully, I notice you left out your lace panties. :D

John

12. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nice lampshades! :rolleyes:

I think our wives have similar tastes! :D

13. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

Im with you Canmore, but alta winters have nothing on our prairie winters... I am kinda excited for this winter. I will be able to take my jacket off in my work truck for a change. I got spray on insulation this year! :D

My gear is usually a set of sorels rated to -70c with wool socks, a pair of arctic rated Carharts, with sweats under them and long johns under those.. a wind breaker under my jacket, a nice pair of insulated work gloves wrapped in duct tape, and a neck warmer and a toque crammed under my hard hat.

14. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

geeze, you guys are getting me all excited for winter... damn heat... although here in Oklahoma we see just a handful of days in the single digits, if that, per year, i love it. beats the hell outta 100 degrees in the summer, unless you're at the lake... well im gonna go thumb through the fall cabela's catalog...

15. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I had a nice surprise this morning. Last week it was 105 ... and yesterday, although not 105, it was still hot. But when I got up today, it was 52 degrees outside.. and pretty much stayed there most of the day. I guess I should watch a little more TV or at least the news.. :crazy:

[Napolean Dynomite] SWEET!! [/Napolean Dynomite]

I'll take the weather though! Just wish it wasn't drizzling all day with it. :( Beats the heat though.

16. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

winter gear

Lemme see,jeans from about Christmas through the middle of Feb.,and if it's really frigid out,I'll ditch the sandals for shoes(socks optional). :D
    I feel for you guys-I am a snowcat operator at a resort in Utah during the winters and while it can be pretty cold on top of a mountain at night I can always turn the heater up.I couldn't imagine working outside for more than 30 minutes or so in the temps you see up north.