Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey Jekbrown!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by darkshadow, Apr 14, 2007.

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

I was out an about today so swung by and took some Pics of the gate I was talking about. hope these help visulize it.

P1010074.JPG

P1010073.JPG

P1010072.JPG

P1010068.JPG

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

the first pic here is the roller bearings on the post locked into the angle.

the next two are the latch system

P1010069.JPG

P1010070.JPG

P1010071.JPG

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

brilliant! definitely helps... click... save. :grin:

thanks mang, I appreciate the help. That is a pretty good idea using a piece of tube along the ground for the gate wheel to roll on... I was wondering what method would be best to accomplish that effect. If I was pouring a new driveway, I'd consider making the track built into the concrete... but since I'm not I need a different approach. :thumb:

anyway, thanks again!

j

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looks like they just poured around the pipe. Its raised about as much as it would be if they had. Great idea.

5. jekbrown

yeah, good call.. pic 4 shows pretty clearly that they did do some concrete work there. :thinking: I can come up with something. If there was an easy way to cut a long piece of pipe in half, that could be an option... you only really need the top part of the tube for the wheel to roll on anyway.

It will probably be next summer before I can save the $ to do the project, but I want to run fencing along the front of our property. The back and sides are already fenced... just need to finish the last side and add a cool gate for the driveway... then dogs can patrol the vehicle parking area and keep away thugs. :)

some of the cool gate openers I have seen online are operated via a marine deep cycle battery that is constantly trickle charged via a solar panel. Pretty cool idea! I'd rather not have to run electrical from the house out to the gate...

j

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Just use a 1"x1" angle and put it so that the 90deg point is up. (like an upside down "V")
    The rollers will stay on that and there are no crazy cuts to be made.

7. jekbrown

unless the material was pretty thick, that'd prolly get tweaked as cars/trucks drove over it all the time. Could work though,

j

8. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

They had it like that at the storage unit i rented while in CA. There were 18 wheelers in and out of there on a semi regular basis, and 2 - 5 ton rack trucks multiple times perday. It was not warped at all.

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

yep, i see those all the time at work, they seem to work just fine(the angle iron)

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

if you wanted the gate could "float" but building the gate wider then the drive way and add a 3ed post on the side it slides too, then have tracks on the gate ride on wheels or bearing mounted to the posts.

11. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

If I saw someone with Stewie on their grill inspecting my gate and taking pictures...

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

At least they were feeling that they got their money's worth out of the gate that day.

13. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

Here at my work, the gate raises from the side into the air. I haven't looked to see exactly how it works but it is pretty good idea.

14. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

Well he dident mind, I made them gates, and thats the bosses house, and the shop in the back, (fwi theres more GTOs in that shop then you can shake a stick at, not to mention more part then PMD ever imagened and a 10 sec. stockish (no power adds) 71 gto)

AS far as the the track, that tube is welded into the rebar cage that gose the whole leangh of the track, and down 4 feet to suport the whole system.

15. jekbrown

angle it is then! :thumb:

I'm going to have some pretty serious brick-clad concrete posts along the front of the yard that will be there to stretch fence between and slow down anyone that tries to ram our house. I'm still coming up with my design, but you can bet dollars to donuts that they will be ram-it-with-a-truck proof. :thumb: There will be one of those every 8-10' and one on each side of the driveway for gate mouting/support.

They have some really cool sliding door openers now that lock when in the closed position and won't open without being signalled by the remote. If, for some reason, the remote or opener dies, there a work-around that uses a padlock to disengage the opener from the gate, so you can slide it by hand. Pretty cool system. The bling openers I have seen cost between $800-1200 and can be opened 15+ times per day just on solar power alone. Not bad. :)

j