Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey Michael

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Oct 25, 2001.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

How much narrower is the side of your bed in this pic?

<a target="_blank" href=http://jmartin.net/parker/trim.html>http://jmartin.net/parker/trim.html</a>

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

2. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Lots. Like 5-6" at the fat part of the body. Very tempting, I know. Hard to make a top fit on if you cut off the top of the bed rail, though. Really retarded looking if you put a top on with the sides cut off like that. Same type of thing with the door. Still...

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

now you're thinking...but what about the cab frame? Not a whole lot you could do there that I can see. Door could be cut down, bedsides cut off, outer fenders moved inboard, but that pesky frame, winshield, ect...that would take some custom work.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Hehe I'm thinking like you are I believe. My fender is a mess and I have a doaner body that I can strip anything I want off. I'm getting the rear 1/4s. I'm going to put a 2 inch diam rail just below the fender surface ties to the roll cage. When I wheel pop the fender off and I'm a rail buggy. Get off the trail and in 5 minutes I'm back to looking reasonably good. No worry about body damage. I'm thinking I can put my spare shafts in the cut out to get them out of the way. Rubber fender lip/flare to keep the stuff that's flying down and to seal against the outer fender when it's on.
    I'll also put a hoop in front of the tail light to protect it. I'm on taillight 7 in 14 months. I'm tired of hunting reflectors. Last one set me back $10 and it's not in very good shape. They are getting scarce around here. Also tires of spending half a day knocking out the fender so a tail light can be put back on the truck.
    My junk man says he doesn't have a D60,D70 or D80 in the yard. He can't keep them. He says he is sending many of what he gets out west.
    Trucks are starting to get big around here. One guy in the club just put 60's under both ends of his wrangler. Tellico could be run fairly damage free. Not anymore. The ride I ripped my fender of we had 12 trucks on. All 12 took damage hehe.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Thats what I was getting at. If you trimmed down the rear door mating area, you could get a few inches. The body is wider around the belt line that at the top of the bed rails and windshield area. If you modified the front fenders the same way you'd get several inches.

As for taillights, don't worry about the screws, just duct tape the lenses on. Quick and easy swapping. Plus you can use more hammered lenses (cheaper).

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs

6. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Yeah, Steve...about 5-6"s with the sheetmetal gone...it sure looks ugly to me without the quarters. Sounds like Grim has a pretty cool idea for you crawler types. Are ya gonna carry the removeable fenders around with ya Grim or leave 'em at home?

Michael[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</a>

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Depends on the trail. Dixie run..leave them at camp. Most trials around me are not a problem but if I see a spot I can alwasy pop them off theow them in the back or put them back on if I know that's going to be the only trouble spot. My goal is to be able to remove it in under a minute.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

8. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

just NARROW THE TUB! that way you can keep the doors and the fenders. run a custom softop and you can still use the a/c. :)

of course, youll have to narrow the hood and core support. the windshield frame; possibly a custom flat piece of lexan could be used. im thinking 5" off each side would be sufficient. might want to check with pat gremillion about this, but sectioning the tub just inside the door openings would be best. on early models the hood hinges bolt to the fenders, custom dash maybe neccessary,,,havent really thought it through yet.

PHASE III maybe? hmmmm...

MTPockets

http://coloradok5.com/moneypit.shtml

9. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

NIce rockers, MT. [​IMG]

Pete

10. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

haha pete, i saw that too!! [​IMG]

--matt
    <font color=blue>86, 350 crate, 33's.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Lop Sop Doi Off-Roader</font color=red>

11. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

thanks pc, you ever finish the passenger side on yours?

MTPockets

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/moneypit.shtml>http://coloradok5.com/moneypit.shtml</a>

12. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

why not go with fiberglass bed sides w dzus fasteners a couple of shops will make them that way just make tube sides for under the fiberglass as skids could also make tube and fiberglass half doors .

88k5 silverado w4"lift <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.11

13. schneggie

schneggie 1/2 ton status

That is kick a$$!!!!!! Might just have to copy some ideas from ya if thats ok! Getting ready to chop mine up real soon, was already gonna copy Pete's idea with the rockers.

14. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

No, hopefully I'll have some time starting late December, after school is over.

BTW, I really like your truck.

Pete