Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey Motorheads!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thunder, Jun 24, 2001.

1. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Just wondering if anyone is running underdriven pullys on their K5.
    Do they help on the low end?
    Any cooling problems?
    I am considering putting on March serpentine pullys on mine and would appreicate any info. Thanks

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Just a guess, but I would think they wouldn't help with low end power very much. I don't think there is a hle lot of drag from the crank shaft driven accsesories (S.P.?) in the lower RPM ranges- so under driveing them probably wouldn't have much of an efect on the low end grunt.

Twiztid

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i dont think they will help with low end, but if you drive on the highway then i would go with it. and you dont have to underdrive everything, IE waterpump if you are worried about cooling. might make finding a belt even moreof a pain. just a thought

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. lots of plans for it....
    but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in so cali if ya got any parts for me.

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Don't do it man... these things are a rip off on any daily driver IMO. 1. Cooling.... truck... hmmmm NO! I never slow down the water pump if I use these... just makes no good sense at all. Heat kills... so why give it an invitation? 2. Alt... uhhhh w/ these trucks I also say no. Newer stuff w/out systems sometimes can handle it, but really is for the low power sucking racers. These truck's alternators barely can keep up as it is.... none the less be slowed down. Idle output is the main concern. Well that leaves the power steering pump... well why do that if you have big tires? Personally I'd fine another mod/mods to spend the cash on... they effects aren't all that great anyways when you use them. One mod I think that is greatly under rated and works well, but costs some bucks is the roller setup. It will net you some power, plus you can change the cam and intake to suite your needs in addition, plus typical rasise fuel economy a bit. For small mods I say stick to a K&N, msd coil and good wires... make sure she is tuned up and then work on the exhaust. After those maybe look into one of those dual ram air setups... you can use the stock holes pretty easily. Just my $.02 worth for ya.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I ran the underdrives on a Ford SVT Lightning with no problem, BUT I wouldn't even attempt it on anything that spends most of it's time working off-idle. The Lightning ran 2,800 RPM to cruise at 55 in OD, and usually was running at these types of speeds - rarely if ever in stop and go traffic, mostly flying on the freeways. Like Mikey said, ram air, ignition upgrades, and other more "basic" upgrades are the best bang for your buck.

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A>

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Well scrach that idea! Thanks all for the input. I have all the basic bolt on mods and then some.My K5 runs very well and is fast. But I am always looking for more power. That's why I threw out this question. I was not fammiliar with the under driven pullys issue.