Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey PA residents (regarding lift laws)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OneInTheSun, Jul 20, 2001.

1. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

Have you ever been hassled by the Man for your truck being over the legal limit? The latest and most official looking thing I've seen says something like "the distance from the bottom of the FACTORY bumper (or frame rail) to the ground can't exceed 30 inches" (correct me if I'm wrong). The setup I've been wanting to go to would take me slightly over that. How strict are they? I've heard that the local cops don't mind much - it's the state boys that get you. Let me know what you've experienced or heard. I don't feel like getting slapped with a fine everytime I pull out of the driveway.

<font color=blue>Rob
    85 K5</font color=blue>
    [​IMG] 24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day - Coincidence?

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Yes, that is what I heard the law was last.

As far as who cares, it all depends on who you come across.. Some locals and state biys wont say anything and then there is always the select few that will.

Then you also have to worry about hte annual inspections guys too!

"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

3. chvyblzr1977

chvyblzr1977 Registered Member

Hey whats up.I have got a 77 blazer with a 8 inch lift and 35s on it and man it took so much to get it inspected every place i called said it had to be a factory lift.Then i called a couple other places they would inspect it but no blocks in the springs.So i finally found this one place that would inspect all he told me is its really hard to get your lifted truck inspected in pa he also said your bumper has to be under 30 inches i had a hard time with this cause it was registered as a sedan so if yours is i recomened if you are gonna lift it get a truck plate cause sedan plates are only 20 in from the ground.As for the cops they really dont care but it depends on what area you are in usually the richy areas give you a hard time.If you ask me this state sucks you can go to ohio and have a 48 inch bumper law all my friends are from there.If you ever want to hang out sometime im near pittsburgh.

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Alot just depends on where you live in Pa. Your correct on the State Troopers though. If you have a friend [​IMG] that can do inspections for you it should not be a problem.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>

5. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

As the song goes... "I've got friends in low places." Getting it inspected won't be a problem. Most of the local cops are cool. The fact that I have to drive at least 45 min. to get to a decent/semi-legal wheeling spot is where the problem comes in. Oh well, guess I'll end up taking my chances. Of course this whole plan of mine is contingent upon finding (cheap) 1-ton axles. Just wanted to take everything into consideration first. Thanks for the input guys.
    chvyblzr1977 - With beta release coming, I'm up to my ears in code. Gotta love 7 day work weeks. Whenever things here at work settle down we'll have to go get the Blazers muddy.

<font color=blue>Rob
    85 K5</font color=blue>
    [​IMG] 24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day - Coincidence?

6. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I know I know I don't live in PA, HOWEVER the most accurate and up to date information can be found at any inspection station ( You do have vehicle inspections there right?) just an FYI, if you want to come up to vermont, the trucks are able to be lifted as follows:
    4,500- under GVWR front bumber 24" rear 26"
    4,500-7.500 GVWR front is 27" rear 29"
    7,501-10,000 GVWR front is 28 rear is 30"
    thanks for posting PA however, we are hopefully taking the truck down to Virginia Beach last week in August, don't wany any tickets on my way!

1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear, dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Here nobody has to worry about that--and on 1 tons, they can't do a thing!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles