Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey Prembird...

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Bowtied, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Bowtied

Bowtied Registered Member

Hey Prem,
    I got those numbers from my sub if you're still willing to check up on it for me:

Cerwin-Vega
    Model: XL-12S
    250 w / 4 ohm
    Sensitivity 96 db 1w/1m
    Serial Number: XL007055

Thanks for your help!!!

Bowtied

2. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

i will look them up and see what i can find..

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

3. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

here is the spec that came directly from cerwin-vega.. i will run these numbers in a couple of the programs i have and tell you how a one cubed will compair to a ported setup...
    The parameters are: XL - 12S

Fs 33hz
    Qes 0.261
    Qms 4.5
    Qts 0.247
    Vas 4.9 cu ft
    Xmax 0.314"
    POWER HANDLING 250 Wrms
    Recommended tuning 35 Hz
    The recommended enclosure per driver is 2.2 cu ft with a 4" diameter port
    10.75" long

Like i said.. i have a couple of programs on my puter that allow me to check out the different curves with or without ports and sizes and what not... i will reply with those numbers shortly...

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

4. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

ive done a couple calculations and looking at the curves that they speakers are producing.. If you can go with a 1.25 cubed box ported at 35 hertz then you will end up with almost the same sound as you have now...Now looking at the curves it shows the output of the 2.2 and the 1.25 at the same level around 80 hz... now the 2.2 has a better curve under 80 hrz.. but to to much... the 1.25 has a better curve about 80 hrz.. same story... not much better... Now the 2.2 has a +4 db greater over the 1.25 from 40 to 50 hertz... the starts to drop to +2 at 55 hertz and a +1 at 65 hertz notes...

now the 1.25 has a little better curve above the 80 hertz not but not enough to mention...

Basically the sub will sound good around the 75-100 herzt note and they will sound about the same.. below 75 hertz then the 2.2 ported box will sound alot better and alot louder... but as for if you can run it at 1 cubed and get decent sound... by what i am seeing yes... but it will not have the spl the ported box has... If you like the output you have now and would like to keep as close to that as possiable i would look into changing how the box is intergrated into the vehicle and see if you cant pull off closer to the 2.2 ported design.. But if you are wanting more space and a decent sound.. then i would look into a 1.25-1.50 cubed box ported at 35 hrz... now depending on what it is ported at depends on how it sounds.. like changing it from 1.5 ported at 35 hertz and making it a 40 hertz port gets you closer to what you have with a 2.2 cubed ported at 35 hertz....

well if this is all confusing let me know.. i will see if i cant get it printed off or something and email you the curves and what not so you can see it.. Hope this info helps you out...

Greg72 should just about be goin nuts over all the tech. info in this post... hehehehhee

Prembird

5. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

oh yea i forgot to add this little part in.. .

all those calculations are done off a 1 watt at 1 meter.. It doesnt take into effect the vechile, hatch loading, and other factors in calculating all of it.. But it will give you a pretty good idea of how well it will work out.. the program i use is the best one for giving really really close results when thinking about changing enclosures and the other program i have require alot more info then what they gave me to figure it all up...

Just thought i needed to add all that in..

Prembird

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Yes....Greg72 is VERY excited looking at all the specs!!!! [​IMG]

I'm kind of at a standstill with my own boxes....I really need to get the speakers, so I can do the round cutouts and the the boxes all "siliconed" and ready to rock!.....any word from your buddies about pricing or availability on the 10W3's???

-Greg72

7. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

ive checked with some of the guys and also checked into shipping and what not... it isnt really any big savings... you could probably get a better price from someone local to you... shipping isnt the cheapest thing in the world on subs... So basically the money you would save would end up paying shipping on them to you.. There are alot of dealers online that offer the w3's at a wholesale price and they are BRAND NEW with warranty on them... If you wish i would be more then happy to look into it more for you if you wish.. and let you know where and how much i find them for..

Prembird

8. Bowtied

Bowtied Registered Member

Hey Prem,
    I really appreciate you looking all that up for me. Everything considered, I think I will end up being most pleased with the 2.2 cubed and ported setup. I really don't want to sacrifice sound quality below 75 hz (That's what having 12's is all about!!!) The box I have now is just that, a plain box. If I build a new one to fit in the blazer, I should be able to have the best of both worlds.
    I'll keep you posted on what I come up with.
    Thanks again!
    Andy

Greg72,
    What cubic feet will your enclosures end up being?

9. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

not a problem at all... if you need anything else just let us know..

Prembird

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Prem,

Thanks for checking into pricing.....you're probably right about the shipping costs eating up all the savings. I do have a local contact here, so I'll just beat him up real hard for a good price! [​IMG]

Bowtied..... the boxes are at .908 cu ft internal NET volume. That's subtracting out the displacement of the speaker. The port is on the outside of the box, so there is no reduction in box volume for that. The port was designed to be equivalent to the JL recommendation of 3" diameter X 14.4" length. I just built it square because space was really tight, and it's a more efficient use of space.

I will probably stuff a little polyfill in the boxes to "fake out" another 10% volume....to get me to exactly 1.0 cu ft (the recommended volume for a ported 10W3-D2)....and just listen to it.

I was actually thinking about building an "adjustable length" port adapter so that I could experiment with different port lengths. It would be as simple as building a temporary "sleeve" to fit inside the existing port that I could simply slide in or out to increase or decrease the effective port length.

Might be a fun experiment for later on...

-Greg72